Trying to figure out who makes what...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocoon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys, just wanting to ask a question about a Japanese saw. I got a 502S Shindaiwa and see Echo's cs-500p looks identical. So, do any of you know who makes what? I'm wondering if my 502S is a Shindaiwa or a red Echo. I know you guys don't discuss these brands as much as the Euro saws, but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the new Shindaiwa saws (I know they haven't been sold here America in 4 or 5 years).

If any of you have ran the cs-500p, what are your thoughts -- as it would help me with my 502S which I am confident is the same machine.

Doesn't really matter I guess, as it is a good firewood cutter with solid construction.

Kioritz who has owned Echo since its origins in the USA bought Shiny some years ago so they are all in the same family.

Yes, Shindaiwa Kogyo and Echo Kioritz now formed one corporation call Yamabiko in my understanding. I know they have starting mixing their weedeaters and blowers, some Shindaiwa products are clearly Echo. I just am curious as to if anyone knows the origin of this 50.2cc saw in question. Shin design or Echo. I am sure it was designed before the merger.

The 502s/CS-500P is originally a Shindaiwa design, it is an upgraded version of the 446s. When Shindaiwa and Echo merged the CS-520 was replaced in the lineup with the CS-500P. There are a few minor differences between the 502s and the CS-500P, different carb and slightly different porting being the main two.

The 502s/CS-500P is originally a Shindaiwa design, it is an upgraded version of the 446s. When Shindaiwa and Echo merged the CS-520 was replaced in the lineup with the CS-500P. There are a few minor differences between the 502s and the CS-500P, different carb and slightly different porting being the main two.

So would you say the Echo version is emissions compliant where the Shindaiwa isn't? Mine says EPA PH1 compliant, but we are passed that one right?

I ran it yesterday. We have 55 acres of timber that is was a savanna prairie 100 years ago we have to have cut by the end of the winter. It has HUGE bur oaks that are part of the natural ecosystem but we are cutting a lot of younger elms, black oaks, white oaks, red oaks, locust, hedge, cedar, cherry, ash ... The saw is pretty good I would say. It murdered my ms290 farm bosses with 18" bars (everything had brand new chains/same pitch). Really lightweight and high revving.

We are going to cut on the savanna remnant next weekend and my buddy is bringing his ms260 pro. How do you think the 502S stacks up against the Stihl? Similar?

Latest posts

Back