Trying to find a good used 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_Shaft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have some leads... would like to find a good used 088 or even one needing a top-end replacement.

Post up if you know where I can get one.

you an find a real good one in my barn., but it's not for sale:)

Be careful out here.. these suckers are really really expensive to fix. If you're going to work it hard, try to get one with the main bearing steel insert in the clutch side case... after serial numer 154603855

Jack_Shaft said:
I have a pretty good connection to the local Stihl dealer, so the rebuild cost wouldn't be too bad ;)

I would also consider an 066.

heck, I get my stuff at cost and it was damn expensive!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

You can;t have my 066 either! but they are much more reasonable to fix and decent used parts are available...

Lakeside53 said:
heck, I get my stuff at cost and it was damn expensive!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

You can;t have my 066 either! but they are much more reasonable to fix and decent used parts are available...

The 088's are proving very difficult to find, used. A few 066's seem to be taking the bait though.

Dealer here in NJ had a used 088 fro $1200, including 44" bar I think. It had a brand new engine. Seems a bit much for what looked like a very very used saw.

I will speak sacrilege and heresy. Now, I love my 066, don't get me wrong, but I bought a 3120. If you are a Stihl guy who needs a big saw, I'll tell you why this is the "right path". If you buy an adapter from Cannon, you can use all your Stihl bars on the 3120, and even the same chains, since they have the same driver count.

That being said, unless you are milling or are frequently in REALLY BIG stuff, an 066 is all a sane person would need in North America. An 066 will pull 36 or a 42" bar with full comp chain in a crosscutting situation all day long and never think twice in oak. It may go bigger, but that's all the bar I've got, and all the bigger the trees are I run into on any regular basis. And, if it were me carrying it, the 066 would be the clear winner. The 3120 outweighs the 066 by 6lbs+, a lot of weight on a long day. I use my 066 as a hand held "thermonuclear device" when I get bored with the speed of the Super XL. After a while, the Super XL looks pretty good.

Just some advice.

Mark

oldsaw said:
I will speak sacrilege and heresy. Now, I love my 066, don't get me wrong, but I bought a 3120. If you are a Stihl guy who needs a big saw, I'll tell you why this is the "right path". If you buy an adapter from Cannon, you can use all your Stihl bars on the 3120, and even the same chains, since they have the same driver count.

That being said, unless you are milling or are frequently in REALLY BIG stuff, an 066 is all a sane person would need in North America. An 066 will pull 36 or a 42" bar with full comp chain in a crosscutting situation all day long and never think twice in oak. It may go bigger, but that's all the bar I've got, and all the bigger the trees are I run into on any regular basis. And, if it were me carrying it, the 066 would be the clear winner. The 3120 outweighs the 066 by 6lbs+, a lot of weight on a long day. I use my 066 as a hand held "thermonuclear device" when I get bored with the speed of the Super XL. After a while, the Super XL looks pretty good.

Just some advice.

Mark

And I happen to agree with most of this (no idea about the 3120 verses the 088 though). I "think" I might have found a tree big enough to justify the 088 for milling, but... 90% of the time I use my 066.

Lakeside53 said:
And I happen to agree with most of this (no idea about the 3120 verses the 088 though). I "think" I might have found a tree big enough to justify the 088 for milling, but... 90% of the time I use my 066.

I only brought up the 3120 since it is a 120 cc saw like an 088. Not trying to claim any 3120 supremacy, but only that a person who is a "Stihl guy" willing to look the other way for a monster saw, can get a 3120, use his Stihl bars and chains, and have a saw that is more available used and parts availability is better. I looked for an 088, but found only well worn out crap. Then I started looking for a 3120 and found there were 10x more of them out there, and parts were less of an issue, and I could use my current stable of bars with an adapter. The 3120 won, but I'm still a Stihl guy who happens to own a Husky.

Andy, you are one of those "softwood pansies". When I get into a 36"+ oak, the extra displacement will be very welcome. I also like the ability to have my 066 ready for bucking and felling while the 3120 is semi-permanently mounted to the Alaskan. I really wanted an 088, but reality won over, ie, I'm not blowing another $80 on a 42" bar for the mill.

Mark

I looked and looked on Ebay and finally scored an MS 880 on Ebay for $745
in perfect shape (bid closed on a tuesday at 1:00 PM)- bought a new 36" pro bar and chain and make mincemeat of a 40" white oak trunk!!!! love it!

oldsaw said:
Andy, you are one of those "softwood pansies". When I get into a 36"+ oak, the extra displacement will be very welcome. I also like the ability to have my 066 ready for bucking and felling while the 3120 is semi-permanently mounted to the Alaskan. I really wanted an 088, but reality won over, ie, I'm not blowing another $80 on a 42" bar for the mill.

Mark

This soft pansy is about to mill up a 36" maple... Might be big enough to justify the 088 if the 20 inch one I was struggling with last week is anything to go by :D

Ripped some big blocks of hard maple last week,(too big to get to the splitter) , choice of saws was an 064 or an 084, 064 is a lot of fun, fast, but just doesn't have the sheer "grunt" that the 084 does... That said I think the 066 we have at work would have been almost as fast with fewer pounds.........

Lakeside53 said:
This soft pansy is about to mill up a 36" maple... Might be big enough to justify the 088 if the 20 inch one I was struggling with last week is anything to go by :D

Okay, now you are seeing it my way. BTW, it was "softwood pansy" not "soft pansy", take your grief like a man...:D

Mark

Latest posts

Back