TSC bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the older TSC was better, the new countyline branded does seem thinner, but it still works OK.

Of course, could all be my imagination, going on memory, don't have any of the older stuff anymore.

I guess you could make your own primo bar oil if you could find the tackifier and mixed with with like 5-40 synthetic.

Countyline is what I use in the winter when I do most of my cutting, use the good stuff when I have to cut in warmer weather. Its thin but is a little sticky as well.

I cant think of the bar oil I always use but its thick and sticky,,, $11 a gallon... was in tsc today and theirs was only $7 a gallon.. so I got some.. man it pours like 10w30... thin as crap..

That is my concern. How will it stick to that bar and chain all the way around a warm 32 inch bar? And if it doesn't you just smoked a 100 bar. Is the savings really worth it.. That's why asked the question on an earlier thread about the cheap stuff and if it would work on longer bars. I'm using the expensive Echo brand now. Bought at Orscheln for about 16.00 a gallon. It pours thick and sticky at 15 degrees.

Grand opening for the new TSC store in Ephraim, Utah today. Everything was an additional 10% off (including the splitters and Jonsered saws). I picked up some bar oil for $6.30 per gallon. Also put in for the drawing for a new log splitter, Jonsered saw, $250 gift certificate, etc. I have my fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

That is my concern. How will it stick to that bar and chain all the way around a warm 32 inch bar? And if it doesn't you just smoked a 100 bar. Is the savings really worth it.. That's why asked the question on an earlier thread about the cheap stuff and if it would work on longer bars. I'm using the expensive Echo brand now. Bought at Orscheln for about 16.00 a gallon. It pours thick and sticky at 15 degrees.

$16.00 a gallon for ECHO brand!!!!!!! Wow. name brand Jonsered was $11.99 a gallon at TSC and with the 10% discount I could have got it for $10.80.

I have had zero problems with the cheaper bar oils in my 395XP with the 32" bar. I just have to remember to drain the oil tank when I am done cutting or it drains out all over the shelf in the shed. A problem that is common with the 394/395xp saws.

I would hope that you would test your saw to make sure it was getting proper oil before you started cutting. You can do this by running your saw full throttle with the tip of the bar being held a few inches away from a piece of wood or a rock or such. With in a few moments there should be an oil streak an inch or two wide and up to six inches long letting you know that oil is making it to the end of the bar. You may need to adjust your oilier for longer bars.

Bar oil is on a one time around trip. It is not grease. I tend to worry more about the oil being too thick before I worry about it being too thin. TSC even sells a thinner winter weight oil.

I was at Northern Tool yesterday evening. Their house brand bar oil was water thin also. Standard weight bar oil shouldn't "slosh".

Haha. Never bought the tsc stuff. I usually try to get the Pro-Select oil while I'm at Lowe's. It seems to be fairly thick and generally has coagulant type feel to it. But I need it, because the poulan really dumps it onto the bar!

I have been buying country line bar oil for some time now. Have to put it in the furnace room and keep it warm when it gets down to 30F or lower. In the teens I dilate it with a bit of diesel as it is just to thick.

:D Al

Back in the 60's- to 80's we never saw "bar oil". We used the cheapest K-Mart 10W30. Most of our saws then had manual oilers and we shot for a tank of oil per tank of fuel. I still have a bunch of our Homelites from the 70's and the 40 plus year old bars are fine. That being said, my Farm Boss 290 that has been my firewood saw for about 1o years shows more wear than my 40 plus year old Homelite bars. The 290 has seen mostly bar oil. Maybe the steel in the commercial grade Homelites was better than the steel in the homeowner grade 290, Joe.

Grand opening for the new TSC store in Ephraim, Utah today. Everything was an additional 10% off (including the splitters and Jonsered saws). I picked up some bar oil for $6.30 per gallon. Also put in for the drawing for a new log splitter, Jonsered saw, $250 gift certificate, etc. I have my fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

$16.00 a gallon for ECHO brand!!!!!!! Wow. name brand Jonsered was $11.99 a gallon at TSC and with the 10% discount I could have got it for $10.80.

I have had zero problems with the cheaper bar oils in my 395XP with the 32" bar. I just have to remember to drain the oil tank when I am done cutting or it drains out all over the shelf in the shed. A problem that is common with the 394/395xp saws.

I would hope that you would test your saw to make sure it was getting proper oil before you started cutting. You can do this by running your saw full throttle with the tip of the bar being held a few inches away from a piece of wood or a rock or such. With in a few moments there should be an oil streak an inch or two wide and up to six inches long letting you know that oil is making it to the end of the bar. You may need to adjust your oilier for longer bars.

Bar oil is on a one time around trip. It is not grease. I tend to worry more about the oil being too thick before I worry about it being too thin. TSC even sells a thinner winter weight oil.

I also check my oiler function by doing just as you describe. That doesn't mean that it hangs on around the tip and puts the oil where you need it. In the middle, bottom side of the bar. A year ago I was cutting some big old white oak rounds that were huge. 48 and 56", after about the 3rd cut I noticed the bar was discoloring and the cut was walking crooked. Had to stop and switch saws. Had to true the bar and when I got around to dealing with it. I was using a cheaper off brand oil either from Wal Mart or Blaines. Since then I have been using the expensive stuff with no issue. Only cost.

You guys bring up a good point about consumption. I've noticed that the thin oils run almost a tank per tank of gas versus the thicker stuff runs about a tank per two tanks of gas. So in reality buying the thicker stuff at $10 per gallon is actually more cost effective than using two gallons at $6. Right?

You guys bring up a good point about consumption. I've noticed that the thin oils run almost a tank per tank of gas versus the thicker stuff runs about a tank per two tanks of gas. So in reality buying the thicker stuff at $10 per gallon is actually more cost effective than using two gallons at $6. Right?
As long as yer bar and chain are happy

Only if it is actually oiling the bar and chain well.

Back