Tuning Makita 7901 big bore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.kleijn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi

I just installed a bigger kit plus a HD air filter on my Makita DCS7901. Two piston rings broke, but the third seem to work (I found out , the hard way. that these rings have a top and bottom side!).

I use ASPEN 2-stroke and add some extra oil (1:25) for the first 2-3 tanks. A Dolmar dealer I visited claims these saws should run 1:40; is that true?

My service point in my town advised me to remove the limiter caps on the carb. I openend both the L and the H with 1 turn.

When I started the machine, the rpm in idle seems to me too high. Is it save to adjust the L? No risk making it too lean?

Does the screw above the L/H also play a role?

40:1 is fine and what I run in my Dolmars.
Also try to adjust the idle screw first to get the idle rpm down. Only adjust the L screw if it bogs off idle (as a rule). The screw above the L/H screws is the idle screw. Counter clockwise will lower the idle rpm.
I've found that a stock big bore kit on a 7900/7901 etc requires very similar jet settings to a standard 79cc Mahle top end.
If adjusting the idle screw does not make a difference to idle rpm then stop and check for air leaks.

There is a risk of running the L side too lean, but at 1 turn out you should be in the ballpark, so I wouldn't worry with minor adjustment.
If the throttle response is good and there's no bog on acceleration, back off the S screw to lower your idle RPM.
However, from your description it sounds like you might be adjusting the carb without a bar and chain on the saw, because unless the clutch is engaging and spinning the chain at idle, or the saw dies at idle, the rpms are probably fine.

Latest posts

Back