Two Square Ground Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are on their way. I pretty much buy all my chains on Amazon -- for the cost savings, and they have what I am looking for. Never seen Square Ground chains on the site. I ordered two 24" for the 500i. Prior to this I was re-profiling older round ground chains. That turned out to be a lot of work, and the performance of the chain was inconsistent. I wasn't sure if it was my filing technique or something else. Soon I will be starting from a solid position and file to sharpness, not from something entirely different.

From Amazon --
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MHEDBA?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

If you click on the links you embedded, they are described as semi-chisel ............ hopefully you do get the square chain.

If you click on the links you embedded, they are described as semi-chisel ............ hopefully you do get the square chain.

Yes, I see that. Oregon describes it as Square Chisel. I'm going off the product code. Amazon is not the greatest with their product description. And yes, I hope I do get what I think I have ordered. Another reason to shop on Amazon -- Great return policy.

Here is another Oregon description of the product.

http://apps.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/chain/72_73_75CJ-CK-CLSuperGuardChain.htm

I don't know either. Baileys says 72CJ is 3/8 square skip, but I always thought J meant semi, so I must have been wrong all these years

I don't know either. Baileys says 72CJ is 3/8 square skip, but I always thought J meant semi, so I must have been wrong all these years

Yup! Standard is L, Semi-Skip is K, Full Skip is J.

All this makes ordering chains a task. Even ordering from a saw shop has its pitfalls. Most people don't have a clue, nor care to care. Expecting the industry to ease the task is a wasted wish.

1635456684587.png

These showed up yesterday. Exactly as expected -- Square Ground, Full Chisel, Full Skip. I went ahead and ordered 2 more but for the 32" Bar. I'm getting anxious for Spring already, so I can fire up the 500i and start cutting.
It may not be your thing if you are only going through a chain per year. Sounds like 4 -10 days work. They don't cut great out of the box and if converting them back on the hill, then you will need extra gullet work. Maybe you are planing buying a bunch of loops and paying someone to grind them for you?

It may not be your thing if you are only going through a chain per year. Sounds like 4 -10 days work. They don't cut great out of the box and if converting them back on the hill, then you will need extra gullet work. Maybe you are planing buying a bunch of loops and paying someone to grind them for you?

The very best cutting chain is/was my first attempt at square filing. I just kinda went at it with a basterd file with a rough idea what I was doing. It was a round file chain that I reprofiled to my understanding of square. I don't remember what I did but it was vicious in some test logs I had around.

Back