Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugg, oil thread. Well here goes.
There are a ton of good oils out there. There are also a ton of opinions. Here's my take, buy a reputable brand. I'm a synthetic/semi synthetic fan, but plenty of good mineral oils out there. Run away from stihl hp ultra. It's junk. Most will agree. I was running klotz super techniplate, that gallon is about gone and got some redmax oil that I'll be using next.

I plan to get a big container of oil for my 2-stroke engines. Does it really matter which brand I get? More importantly, are there brands I should avoid?
Are you talking about just chainsaws, string trimmers and yard equipment? Or does it include boats and recreation vehicles? I’m not sure but I don’t think the kind for a boat is recommended for a chainsaw.

Thanks for the replies. Didn't know I was poking a sore spot.

I ordered Echo armor-something. It was cheaper than the stuff at Tractor Supply, and I didn't have to get in the car. I figured Echo ought to be able to make an oil that works.

Great choice. Echo Red Armor is possibly the best you could have chosen.

I'd be fine running any JASO FD oil, as long as we're talking air cooled equipment.

I ordered Echo armor-something. It was cheaper than the stuff at Tractor Supply, and I didn't have to get in the car. I figured Echo ought to be able to make an oil that works.
Red armor is great stuff.

Echo Red Armor is my choice. Been using it for years.

My advice, DONT STEP FOOT DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE!!!

Find something from a reputable supplier that’s within your budget and designed for air cooled engines and stick with it, mix at 32:1 and forget everything and anything else oil related - MOVE ON!! Forget ratings, mineral vs synthetic vs semi synthetic, flash points, etc. stay away from Stihl oils.

Castrol, Amsoil, Echo, Yamaha, all good stuff it seems.

Edit, just seen you brought red armour, fantastic, stick with it and forget everything else even exists.

Latest posts

Back