Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like stihl 2 mix oil, never had a problem yet. i like the orange bottle, so i can find it on my shelf in the shop. i've even used husky brand.. i always short that last little bit of gas out of the pump. 1/10th of a gallon. 2.5 gal mix, makes 2.499 gals. then i always shake the gas can, making sure it is mixed. most important thing is it causes cancer in california. i dont know how it gets from ohio to cali, but trust the label. 50:1

There was a test someone on another forum did on different 2-stroke oils and their qualities. From what I've heard, Echo Red Armor and Amsoil Dominator came out on top of the rest.

Echo Red Armor is one of the best. Anything JASO FD certified is going to be good. Amsoil Dominator is possibly the best option, but there was some reason I decided not to settle on it.

Ah, I think I remember...

Amsoil Dominator doesn't have a fuel stabilizer. Not too big of a deal, but having a stabilizer is nice.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The conversation was a while ago.

I would lean away from Stihl Ultra. From what I've seen, it leaves too many deposits/doesn't burn as clean.

Coming from someone who bought a gallon of the stuff before I learned. I'll be using that gallon for a while until I can switch to Red Armor. :confused:

I would lean away from Stihl Ultra. From what I've seen, it leaves too many deposits/doesn't burn as clean.

Coming from someone who bought a gallon of the stuff before I learned. I'll be using that gallon for a while until I can switch to Red Armor. :confused:
Use it to start fires... College is expensive. That oil was a cheap lesson.

I hear you. I figure it won't do too much damage to my saws, especially since it is spread across 5 saws.

I'm tempted to try to sell it, though.
I gave the 6 pack I got with the 400 away to a guy I work with. He thought i was daft when I said I bought it for the extended warranty and had no intentions of using it. He even tried to pay me for it. I'm sure someone will see the shiny silver bottle at a yard sale and get their wallet out.

I gave the 6 pack I got with the 400 away to a guy I work with. He thought i was daft when I said I bought it for the extended warranty and had no intentions of using it. He even tried to pay me for it. I'm sure someone will see the shiny silver bottle at a yard sale and get their wallet out.

I dumped the out the Stihl Ultra the dealer filled my 500i with when I got home. Didn't even run that one tank.

Not to add 'fuel to the fire', but what is wrong with Stihl HP ULtra? Have been running it for years 1:50 or a bit richer, mainly in my 2 026's. Seems to burn quite cleanly...
If I'm not mistaken, it's also the oil they use in their 'Motomix' 2-stroke alkylate fuel.
I know it smokes a lot in my saws, especially in my trimmer.

I don't really think any name brand oil is going to destroy a saw in any reasonable amount of time. It's more about the small amounts of wear and tear over years of use that accumulate to the loss of a saw earlier than if you used a higher quality oil.

Latest posts

Back