Tying off to a spar w/ climb line while spiking .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1332

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So in order to make a me a little more comfortable while doing larger takedowns on my spikes I want to be able to tie off my climb line onto the spar I'm working. Can I have a couple different methods for this? Obviously I can just choke my line onto itself but then it's srt and I know the zigzag doesn't like that very much and I don't want to risk it 50 feet in the air. Options please :)

Large ART rope guide/rope guide twin line, basically a retrievable chokable mid stem anchor point

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Could I just take some spare rope and tie it around the spar with a 2 glad hitch backed up by a another hitch or two and attach a micropulley to it via a carabiner? That would also create a nice bend radius in my rope right?

Well here's the tree. I've got about 2/3 of it down and this is what's left. Pretty large black oak.
60 feet tall and about 3 feet or so at the base. Biggest I've done so far

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
Could I just take some spare rope and tie it around the spar with a 2 glad hitch backed up by a another hitch or two and attach a micropulley to it via a carabiner? That would also create a nice bend radius in my rope right?

Or you could just buy, or if you already have a whoopie sling. A lot easier to move up and down the spar with you. Attach pulley to the whoopie with a biner.

I can just about see the split in the second picture. She's a nice size tree you got there :)

Running bowline. Choked. Leave a LONG tail on the bowline. Make the tail as long as the pieces you're blocking out. Say.. 6-8'. Run the down leg through an 8 (or any descender).
Knock your piece off.
Rappel the 8'
Retrieve choked bowline with long tail.
Cinch at waist. Remove slack. Hard lock 8.
Repeat.

That's about as cheap as it comes.

Running bowline. Choked. Leave a LONG tail on the bowline. Make the tail as long as the pieces you're blocking out. Say.. 6-8'. Run the down leg through an 8 (or any descender).
Knock your piece off.
Rappel the 8'
Retrieve choked bowline with long tail.
Cinch at waist. Remove slack. Hard lock 8.
Repeat.

That's about as cheap as it comes.
Could I use a prusik instead of an 8?

Latest posts

Back