Tying off to a spar w/ climb line while spiking .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im having a hard time understanding your question.
so you want to tie off onto the trunk of the tree you're cutting/blocking out?
like for example, you want to tie off in a situation such as the tree in my profile pic?

im having a hard time understanding your question.
so you want to tie off onto the trunk of the tree you're cutting/blocking out?
like for example, you want to tie off in a situation such as the tree in my profile pic?
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying

Quick answer.. no. A Prussik will be a pain in the ass. UNLESS.. you use a carabiner with a munters hitch under it. Or a rope wrench. Something to add some extra friction. Help take some load away from the hitch.

Figure 8's are really easy to use. Google them. They're also cheap as hell. I think you can get one from CT Italy, for like.. 10 bucks.

It won't. As far as I know, the ears are for varying friction on larger loads. Like in a rescue scenario. In my neck of the woods we refer to eared eights as "rescue eights".

So in order to make a me a little more comfortable while doing larger takedowns on my spikes I want to be able to tie off my climb line onto the spar I'm working. Can I have a couple different methods for this? Obviously I can just choke my line onto itself but then it's srt and I know the zigzag doesn't like that very much and I don't want to risk it 50 feet in the air. Options please :)

Put your 'Man-Suit' on,
do you know where you left it?
Don't get mad,,:dancing:
Jeff

Take your climbing line and cross it as it goes around the tree. This will be your second tie in, backing up your lanyard.

I have an adjustable friction saver. It gives you more confidence, but moving it around is a giant pain in the ass. Much faster to use a double lanyard system.

You don't really need a ton of gear, man. Since you're new to a figure eight, back it up with a Prussik. Because if you let go of the break leg.. splat. No good.

I always have a climb line with me. I don't like just a double lanyard. Like you mentioned; no immediate, fast route to ground. I prefer a rope wrench. It's pricey if you just plan to use it for spar anchoring. But once you have one, it becomes wildly beneficial in big spreading hardwoods. Multiple redirects and stupid amounts of anchoring options become available. Look into single rope technique. You may just like it. @david1332

And... seriously, spend a couple hundos on gear you won't regret
Trust me I have! I've upgraded my saddle, bought a foot ascender, couple micro pulleys, lots of carabiners and webbing slings, a ZigZag ( should've been a rope wrench or hitch hiker in hindsight) , better padding for my spurs, suspenders for my saddle. They make a huge difference

You don't really need a ton of gear, man. Since you're new to a figure eight, back it up with a Prussik. Because if you let go of the break leg.. splat. No good.

I always have a climb line with me. I don't like just a double lanyard. Like you mentioned; no immediate, fast route to ground. I prefer a rope wrench. It's pricey if you just plan to use it for spar anchoring. But once you have one, it becomes wildly beneficial in big spreading hardwoods. Multiple redirects and stupid amounts of anchoring options become available. Look into single rope technique. You may just like it. @david1332
Yeah definitely! I'm always open to suggestions as a new guy! I'm sure there's tons of stuff I don't know. I would love to work with a climber On a few jobs just to pick up a few things here and there.

Back