Type of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goof008

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm trying to id some wood I cut last weekend. It was dead, so no leaves to go off of. I've used a link that was posted in another thread like this, but couldn't find it when I did a search. I'll try to get a picture tonight, but the wood is dense, has a greenish bark (lighter green with darker green areas) that is more smooth than rough, maybe like a white oak, but not nearly as dark. This stuff is a real mother to split. My splitter will go thru a 20 inch oak or ash tree pretty easily, but this stuff (12-14" dia.) just tore/shredded and it took everything my splitter had. I thought it was just that piece, but it was 3 pieces in a row. I even tried a 8" limb and it just shredded. If anyone has an idea, throw it at me. I'd know it by the bark if I can find the site that shows barks of trees. I think it was a university web site, but I could be wrong. PA, do you want the honors?

I apologize for posting the question without pics, but as I was looking for the site that shows pictures of the bark, i came across a few posts of guys saying that they had wood that just shredded, so I thought that those of you who know more than me might be able to figure it out. As far as gum trees, are those found in Michigan? I don't know, but I haven't heard much about them if they are.

I apologize for posting the question without pics, but as I was looking for the site that shows pictures of the bark, i came across a few posts of guys saying that they had wood that just shredded, so I thought that those of you who know more than me might be able to figure it out. As far as gum trees, are those found in Michigan? I don't know, but I haven't heard much about them if they are.

Goof - thats why I was guessing Pi$$ elm, in our neck of the woods, I have never seen a gum tree. Not saying that it ain't possible, but I don't think mother nature put it there. I have had some 8 inch elm that put more strain on my splitter than 30" oak ever thought of, or hickory, or red oak, or any other dang thing we get for wood up here. When you get done splitting it, does it look like someone drilled a hole down the middle and loaded it with dynamite, lit the fuse and ran? Almost like it was pulled apart instead of split?

Jags,
that's pretty much what it looks like. Stringy strands holding it together even after I ran thru the splitter 3 times. So I have 4 big pieces that are all strung together still. What a mess. Does it get any better/easier when it dries, or is it worse?

Jags,
that's pretty much what it looks like. Stringy strands holding it together even after I ran thru the splitter 3 times. So I have 4 big pieces that are all strung together still. What a mess. Does it get any better/easier when it dries, or is it worse?

It gets worse. If you don't believe me, take a couple of those 8-10" splits and let them dry well, then go back and split them, it will make your hydraulic pump cry in agony. just set them in the sun for awhile (like till next summer), you'll see.:bang: :bang:

I'm sure a picture will clear it all up....I'll do my best to get one on here tonight.

Piss elm is not green

I am with the sickemore crowd. It will burn.. But I think it dries pretty light.Not sure we might have 3 sycamores on 95 acres and no reason to cut em up for firewood

Here they are

what do you think? I'm starting ot think it might be a type of willow...but I really am only guessing.

Oh Yeah: 42 Y.O. White Male with Fingernail Biting Habit

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

If you thinnk my hands make me look 42, you should see the grey hair!! And I'm only 37....and I don't bite my nails...well, not my finger nails...I did just chew off a big toe nail though!

Hey, Not Bad for G-2

Pretty damn close, huh ? I win nothing. :greenchainsaw:

Your wood ID is tough since you've got stringiness from what looks like a crotch. The bark and heartwood brown color could be Black Willow, or Red Maple. Both can be tough to split. Does not look like any kind of elm. Forget Sycamore, the bark is spotted like cows.
What is the smell when split?
JMHO.

Excellent pictures! No, it certainly isn't Sycamore like I thought when it was described as "light green with darker green spots". I honestly have no idea what it is-haven't seen wood like that here in my area. I'm sure that someone will be able to I.D. it!

Back