Type of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Goof, if you ain't split all that wood I got something for you to try. If it's elm, and I think that's what it is, try splitting it from the outside edge of the round, just take 2 inches of it at a time, small splits off the outside.....work yourself around the log that way, don't try to split it down the middle, see what happens.....I got a neighbor told me to split elm that way, but I ain't had the chance to try it yet....let me know if it works :)

Hey Goof, if you ain't split all that wood I got something for you to try. If it's elm, and I think that's what it is, try splitting it from the outside edge of the round, just take 2 inches of it at a time, small splits off the outside.....work yourself around the log that way, don't try to split it down the middle, see what happens.....I got a neighbor told me to split elm that way, but I ain't had the chance to try it yet....let me know if it works :)

Yeah, that worked. You just kinda need to take smaller peices off going around it. It isn't too stringy that way. Trying to split it down the middle is DEFINATELY not the way to go about splitting this stuff. Thanks for the advice!

hey that's great that you can get that gnarly stuff split that way, when i get around to it that's what i'll do. guess that old neighbor of mine knows what he's talkin' about.

That is American Elm.

dimanager said:
I agree with the american elm. I have alot of that and it splits the same way.

Sam

I too agree that it is American Elm. The sapwood does appear a bit light, but the red heartwood tells me red/American elm.

I think if it were siberian/slippery/pi$$ elm, the odor would have been mentioned in the OP. There's no way to not smell that stuff cutting and splitting it.

The bark is a give away for the species being elm

I believe the correct genus is as follows:

White elm= American elm

red elm= slippery elm

As for what species of elm we have. I am not 100% sure

The 1st and 2nd suggest American elm

The third is open to interpretation:

It could be slippery elm or American elm with dutch elm disease which can show some red tinge in the wood.

what do you think? I'm starting ot think it might be a type of willow...but I really am only guessing.
That's good old American "pi$$" elm .Toughest wood I can think of to split,lawdy.Doesn't burn too bad but a lot of ash.

The lumber from this tough old American native was used for wagon tongues and loading planks etc.The danged stuff is tough and will bend like a bow before it breaks.Unlike oak,it gets much lighter as it dries and doesn't split nearly as easily.Oak,it seems to me never gets much lighter or I am getting older,one.

Back