Type of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is a pic of wood from way down the trunk....no crotch, and the one I'm holding with my chewed on finger nails is a branch. It's all nasty like that! the only rason I cut it down is it was standing dead and I cut the ash next to it down and had room left in the truck for some more, so it came down too. I will definately avoid it next time!
That first pic is of a piece that went thru the splitter 3 times! It just won't "crack" open. I think it died fairly recently as it is still damp inside, especially compared to the ash, which I could burn today.
PA-I'm no expert, but I've split a lot or red, some pin and some white oak and they were a breeze compared to this stuff. The maul just bounced off it, and that was the small piece I'm holding in the one pic. Whatever it is, I'm going to wait until the first freeze before I try to split it agian....unless I bet my buddy his new splitter won't split it cleanly!

Last edited:
I still have to go with pi$$ elm. Got about half a cord split in a pile right now. Looks just like the stuff in your hands. It may be called slippery elm, or some other thing by those who read books and such;) . But around here, thats pi$$ elm. Not bad burning, somewhere in the middle of the btu range. Tough stuff to split for sure.

Gotta be pi$$ elm based on the red heartwood, the stringiness of the wood fibers, and the bark.

NW of Detroit for the location takes it out of the normal range for Sweet or Black Gum, IMO. But Black Gum can be a mother to split. :)

I'll go with what you guys say. I guess that if it is elm, I better split it up before it dries out.

By those pics I'd say it's eastern hophornbeam. I've got some myself and it is a real bear to split. I use the 441 to split those. GREAT firewood though. It actually rates just under hedge for btu count.

it's Dutch elm (aka pis elm, white elm) I garentee it. american is red elm, big difference in color.

A neighbor came over and said it was elm too. This stuff has a pretty strong smell to it, kinda like cottonwood, but sweeter.
PA - you got one right, it's firewood alright....well as soon as I split the stuff. Does waiting until it freezes make a difference?

Last edited:
hornbeam

Peacock, I tend to agree with you on the Eastern Hornbeam. That tree is some of the worst stuff to split in this area. Stringy and tough, it will make my monster mall squeal for help.
Carl
:cry:

Back