Ugh!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
IMG_3154.JPG https://************************/forums/attachments/img_3155-jpg.188396/This was my dads cant hook. He's been gone 10 years and is the reason I run chainsaws. When this snapped I felt sick to my stomach. I was using it pretty hard but never thought I could break it. Upon further inspection, it looks like it's been comprised by some sort of bug. Don't even know hot to go about replacing it.

Can't hit 'like' on Cant (or peavey). I'm sure your Dad would want you to replace with modern one.
View attachment 687168
img_3155-jpg.188396
This was my dads cant hook. He's been gone 10 years and is the reason I run chainsaws. When this snapped I felt sick to my stomach. I was using it pretty hard but never thought I could break it. Upon further inspection, it looks like it's been comprised by some sort of bug. Don't even know hot to go about replacing it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

View attachment 687168
img_3155-jpg.188396
This was my dads cant hook. He's been gone 10 years and is the reason I run chainsaws. When this snapped I felt sick to my stomach. I was using it pretty hard but never thought I could break it. Upon further inspection, it looks like it's been comprised by some sort of bug. Don't even know hot to go about replacing it.
Can't hit 'like' on Cant (or peavey). I'm sure your Dad would want you to replace with modern one....
I am so sorry for your pain. Take as much time as you need to grieve, and if/when you are ready, replace the handle. Your dad knew the handles are expendable. As far as the bugs go, our world is in a constant state of decay and our physical lives are but a vapor in time. This keeps me looking upward, for one day there will be no sickness; thief and moth will no longer destroy. And, death with lose its sting.

I remodeled my dad's log splitter for the same reasons, after I dragged it around for a decade or so.

Keep that upper handle portion your dad used somewhere and cherish your memories together every time you look at it or touch it.
Good fortune to you.

Should be easy to replace. Measure it and order a good one online or fit something up and trim it down to a good handle.

It's my grandfather's axe. Only had to replace the handle three times and the head once. :)

Thats too bad. I know the feeling. If it were me i would hang it.on the wall by your wood burner as a reminder of him.

I have most of my dad thing ( tools and saw equipment) and it sure is nice to use them and he would want that too so i think if you got to ware it out befor him and he would be happy you used it.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I have a bunch of hickory growing here from little spindly 1" saplings to mighty 20 inch dia trees.

I would measure the thickest part of thre handle and take a walk in the woods. Once I found a Hickory slightly larger I would cut it down trim to OAL take the draw knife and remove the bark then place in a warm dry area for maybe a year. then I would once again put the draw knife to it and get is shaped the same as the orginal and install the hard wear.

I also have some iron wood trees AKA knowen as lever wood, that would also make a dandly handle.

:D Al

This thread sure makes me think of my old man. i sure miss him.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
My Dad passed away in 2004 and I still miss him. I hang his gear up to let people know what tools real men used back in the day. I have his hand saw he used to limb out big trees before they made small chain saws, and several of his axes. The Plumb cruiser that multifaceted hung for me came from Dad's barn. I've got one of his pevy's that we snapped a handle on. But it was from the 50's and was dry rotted. Didn't take much to snap it off.
0VCObN3.jpg

I have one almost identical to that one, and love it! Aside from a couple of carpenter bee holes in mine, it's in good shape. I got mine from a neighbor's estate sale years ago, and it still had the original price(in pencil) of $4.95. Get a new handle, and you will be back in business. :)

I have a cant hook just like that. I understand the sentimental value as mine came from my grandpa, but I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to trim out a rough shape with a jigsaw and put a piece of ash on a sander and take a spoke shave to it to get the right shape and add a coat of linseed oil to preserve it.

Latest posts

Back