Ukranian hand powered woodsplitter - video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deutzman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
This may have been posted before. Looks like it works great. Don't have to bother about ethanol or e-free gas, hydraulic oil to cold or hot. Pretty work.

Ya, slick, saw that one before. As long as you can get by with shorties and at least moderately straight grained, looks effective.

I like it, wonder how it would work with a Fiskars on it? Joe.

I would think not that great, just too light. Fiskars is designed to work with sharpness and speed. The Ukrainian splitter uses a real heavy wedge/maul shape, sharp enough, at low speed.

The tradeoff with that vid is the coil spring to help get the wedge back up in the air. The more effort up, the more you can whack down and split. The less effort up, the easier it is to get it up for the next strike, but you would then lose splitting down power. I imagine that guy really tweaked that part to get it to work as well as it does now.

Yup, I would say its the wood not the splitter. I bet that would not work well even with red oak.

Yup, I would say its the wood not the splitter. I bet that would not work well even with red oak.

Short pieces of straight grained it might, especially cut that short. Oak from the woods, not a yard or field edge. Those open air trees are usually always knotty and twisty....

Almost looks as if he is splitting Short, Dry BassWood.

Zogger is right, looks like it's the wood and not the splitter..

Back