Ultimate Husky 346XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qatanlison

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'll probably go ahead and order a tuned 346XP from Husky. Now, the tuning "kit" made by MMW Sweden sets the RPM 500 lower than standard but boosts a far better acceleration and lands the saw around the 5hp mark. Now, all you guys with souped up 346 like Gypo and so on; What's the specs on these saws of yours?
Also, sources at Husky tells me to go 3/8 rim and chain and square ground (or perhaps ATOP racing cut) on a saw like this for optimum performance. Have any of you tried that as well? What I'm really after is the ultimate 346, needless to say...

Thanks,

Q

whats interesting to me is the pt about the saw being tuned 500 rpm lower,than
standard. i think possibly there in lies a secrete.i like the nascar races like bristol. where quick power and the rite gear are more important than max rpm. in my opinion they are more like the better working mans saw. now racing saws different. and we know the funny cars need to be rebuilt after most runs. kinda like a rocket.:) . have fun u saw.

Just to be clear; I'm using the saw in the woods, not for racing. Husky has tested the mentioned kit and it'll actually make the saw run longer, less wear on clutch for instance and because of the rapid acceleration, less strain is put on the saw as it'll never reach the higher rpms that usually is needed to get full power.

Q

the tuning "kit" made by MMW Sweden

Interesting let us know how it works.. Do you know what all the kit includes? new cly, piston, muffler? would be interesting to know.
I would have no clue what my modded 346 would be HP wise but it works well and it just maybe one of the lower HP modded 346 out their.
I just had Dave Neiger up date the pipe and install a new cly and crank it works rather well now.
Hear is a pic of the cly. and crank

I know that every part you mention is modified. Also the air intake and filter. I'll have to talk to the mechanic responsible for the operation.

Q

Originally posted by Qatanlison
..... sets the RPM 500 lower than standard but boosts a far better acceleration and lands the saw around the 5hp mark.....

Thanks,

Q

The consensus has been that setting the rpms anywhere from 500-700 rpm lower for the 346 is going to give it more jam with the factory port timing. I`m curious to know what else they are doing to bump the hp up to 5.

I doubt that I could tell you anything about the 346 that you don`t already know other than it will definitely bring a smile to your face.

Russ

Hey, how does one find out about these tuning kits from MMW Sweden (I presume this is somehow tied directly to Husky?). Are these kits available for saws other than the 346?

thanks

Magnus Johansson att MMW (Magnus MotorWorks) is the chief mechanic who developed the 346 and 357 for Husqvarna. He's the person who knows all there is to know about these saws 'cos he made them. During 3 years he developed the machinery behind them and thus knows where all restrictions are placed and how to remove them... The "Kit" is really tuning done on a new saw at his workshop. All I know is that there are some tuning done to everything that can be tuned. The ignition is also tuned to what type of fuel you use. A new muffler is fitted with two outlets. I talked to Magnus today and he confirmed that his mods will take a 346XP beyond a "hot" 262XP (at 4.8hp) towards a 70cc. In tests they ran a 28" bar and it worked quite well... (With a modified oil pump obviously...) He strongly adviced a 8 tooth 3/8 rim and a square filed chain for best performance. Magnus is mainly working on tuning motorcycles and I can't answer for him if there is a possibility for his tuning on saws that might be exported to the US. But, sure, If you send him a saw he'll probably do the tuning if you pay the shipping...

Q

Since the 353 is on the same frame, any clue whether he had a hand in that one as well? Also, what does a typical tuneup from MAgnus cost?

The 353 is a consumer saw , like the 351...with open transfer ports... a well built saw, but not quite full pro.

I'm available for a foreign exchange student immediately. I LOVE that twin cylinder setup for a 346XP, its kick@$# I'll bet it gives the saw a little extra power, like at least what I get from a stock 670 Champ by Jonsered.

The 351 is as professional as the 346 but with a wider powerband. The 353 is the successor of 351, also a pro-saw.

About the prize tag; In sweden we pay around $350 for this kind of tuning.

Q

Q,
I don't think so. The 351 was larger displacement than the 346, but was rated less power. It utilizes open transfers versus quad closed loop on the 346. As I inderstand it the XP designates the top pro saws.

$350 is a lot more than is commonly charged here. And our saw builders build some mighty fast saws. But it sounds like Magnus covers all the bases.

rbtree, you're of course right about how the two saws are built, but that doesn't necessarily prove the XP more of a pro saw than the non-XP. A pro-saw is defined as a saw built for heavy use, 8hrs a day. There are pro users who doesn't want the XP feature(!) and Husky can present them with an alternative. Consumer saws are often fitted with composite crank cases, thinner alloy components and so on, which is the case for the 350 for instance.

As for the tuning price - being the only one tuning saws professionally can make a price tag run a bit high I suppose.
But then again, I think It's mighty cool to have it done by the father of the saw...

Q

Originally posted by Qatanlison
......But then again, I think It's mighty cool to have it done by the father of the saw...

Q

Sounds cool to me. Magnus obviously knows his stuff based on what these saws put out in stock form and how readily they take to mods.

Russ

I got my MMW 346XP on Friday - just broke it in...
I'll try to post som vid-clips of it tomorrow letting the rest of you appreciate it too...
So far I run it with out-of-the-box .325 semi-chisel - boooring-
but the ATOP files are on their way... But the saw doesn't seem to mind; My 262XP 3/8 (modded muffler) didn't manage to keep up with it...

Q

How?

WHERE ARE YOU GUYS GETTING THIS STUFF?

i don't get it how do you get in touch with them to get a saw modded, or an already modified saw?

:chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back