Unicender friction comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeylove

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I keep debating shelling out $300 for a unicender and maybe a few more bucks for a drum accessory to go with it. Can anybody that uses one for SRT and/or DDRT give me a comparison of the friction on rappel as come pared to an ATC, Grigri, figure 8......you get the idea. I know the friction will vary depending on rope but I am assuming that your comparison will be the same rope for you. I primary use SRT but am trying to learn DDRT also, my 50 year old body just like SRT better at the moment. I don't mind spending the cash, but don't want to waste it either. I know it is a well designed tool but if it has the same friction a figure 8 device I will never use it a second time. I can't handle the friction on a figure 8, it is just to uncontrollable for me.

Thanks guys and gals.

I tend to stay away from the shiny toys for several hundred dollars. A $10 figure 8 will do the same thing if you want to come out of a tree. I descend on my knot. Too much hassle switching over gear and having to carry it on my saddle. Sometimes the I find the old school methods work best. Having said all this, you will probably buy it anyway.

I know you didn't ask about it, but, as was pointed out to me when I was contemplating it the Hitch Hiker is only 160$ compared to 300$ for the Uni. I really like it. It is SUPER controllable and easy to use once you get tying the hitch and how to set it up to your saddle. I use 7 wraps and the standard HH knot. And a small ring on my rope bridge. . It works Great on both srt and drt. It works great on both Arbor Plex and Samson static Kern. I spur climb or limb climb for the work I did this year. Then repel down it seems to be very easy on the ropes. Don't have to twang/ strum anything. It is like 75% smoother than my GriGri. And is super easy to slack down the tree or change position by even a few inches or zip all the way to the ground. . And, it is a very rugged piece of gear.

I bought one because I thought it would be a step up from the Lockjack. It wasn't. It was a bit harder to advance, seemed to get in the way more often when I was working and was more jerky to descend. The only advantage I saw over the LJ was SRT. Last couple of years the only time I used the uni was to descend under a Wraptor. Since I've only actually climbed one tree this year it will likely end up in my museum of bad purchases. I think if I were you I'd spend the money on a different system.
Phil

Tramp and Phil thanks for the imput. I have concidered both yhe Hitchhiker and the Lockjack/Spiderjack. I just setup a friction hitch with a tender under it, to play around with next week. If I can manage to make that work then I might get better at DDRT. Right now my hitch grabs great for life support (always important) but getting them to release and slide is always my downfall. I sm hoping a tender will help with that. The Jacks are nice but from what I remember don't work with my 11mm-7/16. The Hitchhiker minimum I beleive is right at my rope diameter. Thanks again guys.

I keep debating shelling out $300 for a unicender and maybe a few more bucks for a drum accessory to go with it. Can anybody that uses one for SRT and/or DDRT give me a comparison of the friction on rappel as come pared to an ATC, Grigri, figure 8......you get the idea. I know the friction will vary depending on rope but I am assuming that your comparison will be the same rope for you. I primary use SRT but am trying to learn DDRT also, my 50 year old body just like SRT better at the moment. I don't mind spending the cash, but don't want to waste it either. I know it is a well designed tool but if it has the same friction a figure 8 device I will never use it a second time. I can't handle the friction on a figure 8, it is just to uncontrollable for me.

Thanks guys and gals.

Did some temperature/friction tests during a 55' descent.
The fastest descent was a little more than 4 seconds.

Latest posts

Back