Unicender friction comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monkeylove

monkeylove

ArboristSite Lurker
I keep debating shelling out $300 for a unicender and maybe a few more bucks for a drum accessory to go with it. Can anybody that uses one for SRT and/or DDRT give me a comparison of the friction on rappel as come pared to an ATC, Grigri, figure 8......you get the idea. I know the friction will vary depending on rope but I am assuming that your comparison will be the same rope for you. I primary use SRT but am trying to learn DDRT also, my 50 year old body just like SRT better at the moment. I don't mind spending the cash, but don't want to waste it either. I know it is a well designed tool but if it has the same friction a figure 8 device I will never use it a second time. I can't handle the friction on a figure 8, it is just to uncontrollable for me.

Thanks guys and gals.

I tend to stay away from the shiny toys for several hundred dollars. A $10 figure 8 will do the same thing if you want to come out of a tree. I descend on my knot. Too much hassle switching over gear and having to carry it on my saddle. Sometimes the I find the old school methods work best. Having said all this, you will probably buy it anyway.

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al
I know you didn't ask about it, but, as was pointed out to me when I was contemplating it the Hitch Hiker is only 160$ compared to 300$ for the Uni. I really like it. It is SUPER controllable and easy to use once you get tying the hitch and how to set it up to your saddle. I use 7 wraps and the standard HH knot. And a small ring on my rope bridge. . It works Great on both srt and drt. It works great on both Arbor Plex and Samson static Kern. I spur climb or limb climb for the work I did this year. Then repel down it seems to be very easy on the ropes. Don't have to twang/ strum anything. It is like 75% smoother than my GriGri. And is super easy to slack down the tree or change position by even a few inches or zip all the way to the ground. . And, it is a very rugged piece of gear.

Grace Tree

Grace Tree

Impossible Access
I bought one because I thought it would be a step up from the Lockjack. It wasn't. It was a bit harder to advance, seemed to get in the way more often when I was working and was more jerky to descend. The only advantage I saw over the LJ was SRT. Last couple of years the only time I used the uni was to descend under a Wraptor. Since I've only actually climbed one tree this year it will likely end up in my museum of bad purchases. I think if I were you I'd spend the money on a different system.
Phil

monkeylove

monkeylove

ArboristSite Lurker
Tramp and Phil thanks for the imput. I have concidered both yhe Hitchhiker and the Lockjack/Spiderjack. I just setup a friction hitch with a tender under it, to play around with next week. If I can manage to make that work then I might get better at DDRT. Right now my hitch grabs great for life support (always important) but getting them to release and slide is always my downfall. I sm hoping a tender will help with that. The Jacks are nice but from what I remember don't work with my 11mm-7/16. The Hitchhiker minimum I beleive is right at my rope diameter. Thanks again guys.

yoyoman

yoyoman

ArboristSite Operative
I keep debating shelling out $300 for a unicender and maybe a few more bucks for a drum accessory to go with it. Can anybody that uses one for SRT and/or DDRT give me a comparison of the friction on rappel as come pared to an ATC, Grigri, figure 8......you get the idea. I know the friction will vary depending on rope but I am assuming that your comparison will be the same rope for you. I primary use SRT but am trying to learn DDRT also, my 50 year old body just like SRT better at the moment. I don't mind spending the cash, but don't want to waste it either. I know it is a well designed tool but if it has the same friction a figure 8 device I will never use it a second time. I can't handle the friction on a figure 8, it is just to uncontrollable for me.

Thanks guys and gals.

Did some temperature/friction tests during a 55' descent.
The fastest descent was a little more than 4 seconds.