unicorn log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, mounted to a jacked up car does seem very ridiculous to say the least. There are some better set-ups out there utilizing the same concept (an auger type splitter), bench mounted and safer, that seem interesting and somewhat useful. This one however is just a death machine in my opinion. I would not even get close to that "invention".

Last edited:
Well, for those of you (most) that have not used a corkscrew type splitter, they do work very well but require a significant amount of attention. Somewhat like using a buzz saw. They get the job done but...

The one I used was also a Unicorn brand but it hooked onto the pto shaft of a tractor. Sold it a few years ago with caveats. Just recently I found a tip for it.

They split from the side and not the end of a log. I didn't watch the movie clip as we don't have broadband here.

not a new idea

I remember seeing a cone style splitter like that about 1980. The one I saw was powered by a 5 hp briggs and worked the same way. There was a bar that would hold the end of the round to keep it from spinning. It was at a farm equipment place in southern Ontario. The dealer said it worked pretty well.

buddy of mine has one someone gave/sold him..
he hooked it up to his pto on a ford tractor (it's made for that) only to find out the damn thing spins the wrong way ???
evidently some other countries pto stuff is backwards from the good ole usa ??

I remember seeing a cone style splitter like that about 1980. The one I saw was powered by a 5 hp briggs and worked the same way. There was a bar that would hold the end of the round to keep it from spinning. It was at a farm equipment place in southern Ontario. The dealer said it worked pretty well.

There was one like you describe on my local CL for quite a while (a year or two ago). Pretty neat contraption.

I can remember those things being advertised on tv yrs ago (late 70's early 80's IIRC) every time I saw the ad I would get a shudder up my spine thinking of that thing driving into my shin and splitting it apart, reckon it ranks up there with lawn darts in its safety.

I can remember those things being advertised on tv yrs ago (late 70's early 80's IIRC) every time I saw the ad I would get a shudder up my spine thinking of that thing driving into my shin and splitting it apart, reckon it ranks up there with lawn darts in its safety.

I am sure it has happened but I never heard of any injuries associated with them. They can really split fast, I like the hydraulic ones better though lol.

buddy of mine has one someone gave/sold him..
he hooked it up to his pto on a ford tractor (it's made for that) only to find out the damn thing spins the wrong way ???
evidently some other countries pto stuff is backwards from the good ole usa ??

Been awhile since I had my pto winch but couldn't he just run the pto in reverse?

I had a "Unicorn" brand screw splitter that fit a Gravely 2-wheel tractor...traded it for saw stuff. It was unused when I got it and unused when it left.

friend of mine just sent me this, wth??
Unicorn Log Splitter - YouTube

A local in the village near to where I live rigged up something similar on to the front wheel of his Citroen truck[ front wheel drive] It fell off the jack,kept going, & partly destroyed his garden/tool shed. He was not best pleased & blamed his mate who lent him the splitter

Who the hell wants to be bent over like that the whole time?

Who the hell wants to be bent over like that the whole time?

I built a screw splitter. The screw was set on a table about 4.5 ft above the ground. The screw was about 3 inchs above the surface of the table. I had wheels on two of the legs to wheel it around. I had a 18 inch pulley connected to the screw and a 3 inch pulley on the 13.5 hp engine. The engine sat below the table tucked inside. I used dual v-belts. It works but not with bigger rounds which isn't good. The belts would slip no matter how much I tensioned them. I am going to change the configuration to use a transmission(t-18 I believe) out of an old jeep I have. That way I have 3 forward speeds and a reverse which would be nice. You want the screw to spin around 600 or so rpms. It will out split(speed wise) a hydraulic splitter all day long. I'll have to post some pictures up if I can find them. Its not pretty but it did work. For kindling it was perfect. You could make wheelbarrow fulls of kindling in minutes. I ended up buying a hydraulic splitter for 500 bucks and lost interest on my project. And I don't have a garage and was doing all the work at my parents that live 30 minutes away which is a pain. I do agree that the screw splitter can be dangerous but if you check youtube there is one on there with a guard that completely covers the screw. As you push the log against the very tip of the screw the log pushes back the guard and then the guard springs back after the log is split. That way your clothing or you hippies with ponytails don't get sucked in. I also rigged up a kill switch right next to the screw that would shut it down. If built right they are very fast, really not that dangerous and not that expensive to build. Someday I'll get all the kinks worked out and have one heck of nice splitter.

Just my opinions.

Thanks,
Aaron

I had a "Unicorn" brand screw splitter that fit a Gravely 2-wheel tractor...traded it for saw stuff. It was unused when I got it and unused when it left.

Here it is.. complete.

2012-09-17_18-44-00_396_zps7244a5f7.jpg

2012-09-17_18-43-51_809_zps1045336e.jpg

And a video or one like mine...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uv0pMk5sdHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back