Update: Buy a 038 Magnum or a Homelite Super 1050 Auto?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I started a thread a couple days ago asking whether I should buy a Stihl 038 Magnum or a Tikka T3 in 6.5 x 55. Well, I've since found out the 6.5 T3 is no longer available so that dilemma is over. But in talking with the guy about his 038 Mag it turns out he also has a Homie Super 1050 Auto. I've done a search on AS and both have gathered lots of good reports and carry a fan following. Also, they're both close to the same money--not cheap enough that I'm inclined to buy both, as many of you will doubtless suggest. He says both are in great shape, good runners, with the chain on the 1050 "like new" and "hardly used" and it appears in photos that the bar has more original paint on it than the 038 bar--as an indicator of use.

I thought I'd poll the helpful AS peanut gallery before I go look--probably tomorrow.

What say you, guys? 038 or 1050?

Thanks in advance,

Olyeller

They are two entirely different animals, the 1050 is a 100 cc saw while the Stihl is just over 60 cc's. As such, they are really not designed for the same function and it is like comparing apples to oranges. Personally I would go with the Homie as there is no replacement for displacement.

If the 1050 is in really great shape I would get it also. You have better chances of finding another nice 038 before another nice 1050.

It's all about CAD

Sorry, I forgot to mention again as I did in my first post that I don't NEED another saw for the limited cutting I actually do. As you can see in my sig I'm pretty well covered. This purchase is all about CAD and how I can't stop searching for another saw treasure to dig up. So this is all about grins and giggles. Although I'd be more excited if they were both bargain-priced.

I've been thinking that the old Homie is the one to get, especially if it's in better shape. I figure I'll stumble across another 038 some day if I still want one. But then I already have the old Dolmar 143 at 95cc, so... ?

Olyeller

That is tough!
I can not even try to help with that one!

Curious what you might end up with!

How about parts availability?

Just had a thought. Question: how is the availability of parts for either the 038 or 1050? I'd hate to have an older saw with no air filter, for example.

Olyeller

Just had a thought. Question: how is the availability of parts for either the 038 or 1050? I'd hate to have an older saw with no air filter, for example.

Olyeller

Parts are still available, Cylinder on eBay just sold for under $50.
Taking your time on eBay, and others here, you should be able to get what you need for 1050 pretty easy!

As RandyMac said: "Man up!" LOL!

Grab the stinking 1050 and don't look back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the Stihl and tell me where to get the 1050. :msp_smile:

I was hoping you would weigh in, Brian. I read some of your old posts about the two 1050s you picked up. So you ended up becoming a 1050 fan? I'd be interested in getting your read on all this since you've been through this process.

Olyeller

I was hoping you would weigh in, Brian. I read some of your old posts about the two 1050s you picked up. So you ended up becoming a 1050 fan? I'd be interested in getting your read on all this since you've been through this process.

Olyeller
I got some nice old Homelites early on when CAD first set in. A bunch of other saws soon showed up and started to overwhelm me. I decided that I had to narrow my focus stop taking in every saw that was offered. My prettiest saws were Homelites, so I decided that would be my direction.
I like 'em all. I just don't have room for 'em all so I decided to be a Homelite guy.
I haven't quite got it under control, though. I mean, who can pass up an 024 AVS for $50 ? LOL
There's only one more Homelite I want and then I'll quit buying. LOL

It's OK. I'm going deaf. My wife yells at me all the time.

:msp_flapper:

So you vote Homelite, huh?

Olyeller

Lol. Yes, the vote is for the Homelite, not only is a bigger saw, but it will help keep the creamsickle population at bay... I heard they reproduce insanely fast...

:D

Ooo... nice bike in your avatar... is that yours?

Back