Update: Buy a 038 Magnum or a Homelite Super 1050 Auto?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. Yes, the vote is for the Homelite, not only is a bigger saw, but it will help keep the creamsickle population at bay... I heard they reproduce insanely fast...

:D

Ooo... nice bike in your avatar... is that yours?

That's me during one of my better days at work: riding the Honda CBR1000RR at Laguna Seca Raceway during the press introduction of that bike. That bike is the size and weight of a 600cc sportbike, with the power of a Superbike. Way fun.

Olyeller

Sell some crap out of the attic and get both saws.
:agree2: That's some sensible talk right there!

Man, if I had to choose between the two it would be tough!! I would lean toward the Homelite though. I would feel pretty confident that I'd come across another 038 mag, but the 1050, not so likely.

Seriously though, just buy them both!!:rock:

Here's a video of a good 038 mag I had cutting. If you've never ran one , it may give you an idea of what to expect.
My opinion will always be- BUY THEM BOTH!!!!!!

I suspect that your only interested in adding one of these to your collection to have another cool saw. Looks like you've got the work saw department covered. With that in mind, I consider the 1050 more collectable at this point than the 038 Mag. It's considerably older, not only in time, but in technology. It's 100 cc. Put simply, it's big, old, and cool.

Here's something to confuse you a little more:)

1121652356_reDyW-M.jpg

1120968161_aRsf8-M.jpg

436074617_ksFqG-M.jpg

436074717_nQp3D-M.jpg

You answered your own question.

CAD = having chainsaws for which you have no real use or need.

Sorry, I forgot to mention again as I did in my first post that I don't NEED another saw for the limited cutting I actually do. As you can see in my sig I'm pretty well covered. This purchase is all about CAD and how I can't stop searching for another saw treasure to dig up. So this is all about grins and giggles. Although I'd be more excited if they were both bargain-priced.

I've been thinking that the old Homie is the one to get, especially if it's in better shape. I figure I'll stumble across another 038 some day if I still want one. But then I already have the old Dolmar 143 at 95cc, so... ?

Olyeller

Love that saw p00rnn!

I suspect that your only interested in adding one of these to your collection to have another cool saw. Looks like you've got the work saw department covered. With that in mind, I consider the 1050 more collectable at this point than the 038 Mag. It's considerably older, not only in time, but in technology. It's 100 cc. Put simply, it's big, old, and cool.

Brad, you and your camera make me absolutely crazy--saw p00rnn at it's best. Yes indeed, I'm just hunting for cool saws. So the 1050 is big, old and cool, huh? That's what I want to be when I grow up so I guess I'd better get the Homie. But I'm glad you chimed in because I know you have extensive 70cc experience with 440, 460, 441, Husky 372 and more. So subjectively speaking, for feel, sound and so on--not so much about power or outright cutting speed--what makes the 038 Magnum so attractive? Specs and timed cuts don't count here; I'd just like some opinions about what makes the 038 Mag a cool old guy.

You guys are killing me; I know it's crazy for me to be looking to pick up 2 saws I don't even need but what's a guy with CAD to do? But then I know nobody on this site was about to talk me back off the ledge to keep me from jumping! LOL

Thanks,

Olyeller

Brad, you and your camera make me absolutely crazy--saw p00rnn at it's best. Yes indeed, I'm just hunting for cool saws. So the 1050 is big, old and cool, huh? That's what I want to be when I grow up so I guess I'd better get the Homie. But I'm glad you chimed in because I know you have extensive 70cc experience with 440, 460, 441, Husky 372 and more. So subjectively speaking, for feel, sound and so on--not so much about power or outright cutting speed--what makes the 038 Magnum so attractive? Specs and timed cuts don't count here; I'd just like some opinions about what makes the 038 Mag a cool old guy.

You guys are killing me; I know it's crazy for me to be looking to pick up 2 saws I don't even need but what's a guy with CAD to do? But then I know nobody on this site was about to talk me back off the ledge to keep me from jumping! LOL

Thanks,

Olyeller

Yeah!! Just get both of them!!! Ain't no problem with doing that. :)

Tomorrow AM

I set up a meeting to see the saws tomorrow AM. Now only time, condition of saws, asking price and bargaining power will decide if it's 2 saws, 1 saw or 0 new-to-me saws at the end of the day.

Olyeller

I'm about to pick up an 038 myself, which I do not need. CAD does eat away at all of your funds, but at least it's fun! :)
I say go for the 1050 as long as it's in good shape. The 038 will be back around. The one I'm getting is as close to mint as I've ever seen, so I have to get it. :)

I would also recommend to get the Homie. Certainly, post pics when you do pick it up! I am looking for another Homelite too, I want a bigger one.

038 Mag II is the best saw I own. I've battled a Homie Super 650 for 6 months and lost. I've battled 330's intake boots, no spark, ignition coils etc. and have lost my taste for Homelite. I have not had a single issue with my 038 mag II.

BUT......I would love to have a good running 1050 so I don't frikin know......that's my input for what it's worth. Send pics of whichever you get..

038 Mag II is the best saw I own. I've battled a Homie Super 650 for 6 months and lost. I've battled 330's intake boots, no spark, ignition coils etc. and have lost my taste for Homelite. I have not had a single issue with my 038 mag II.

BUT......I would love to have a good running 1050 so I don't frikin know......that's my input for what it's worth. Send pics of whichever you get..

Couldn't have been much of a battle when the saw needed everything replaced!

Get the 1050 they are great saws and you will really like it. Just make sure the saw is "represented correctly" so you don't get the wool pulled over your eyes like I had done to me.

I would probably go for the 1050 myself, but then I already have a few 038's. Just remember this: The 038 has a chainbrake and A/V system. You can easily put it into service for a few days/weeks/months beside your 044 or 046 should one of them have an issue. You could even let a friend or neighbor use it on a big cleanup job should you need another decent saw. I suppose you could use the 1050 as a work saw, but you'd be feeling it in your fingers and back alot sooner.

I suppose you could use the 1050 as a work saw, but you'd be feeling it in your fingers and back alot sooner.

I love running my 1050 for fun, but I wouldn't want to run it for any length of time.
An older logger friend of mine has one NIB. Never had fuel in it. They used to run them a lot back in the day. They bought like 10 of them just before they were discontinued.
I told him he could run mine whenever he wanted "for old times sake".
He said, "Thanks, but NO. I never want to run one again.".
He's been running 372s since they came out, fwiw.

WTF wildman.............your an idiot.

I must be...I gave you a brand new 6401 for a "parts saw" 650. :censored:

Oh look at that...About time that SCUM was banned. If I was anywhere near cali I would have rung his neck already. Anyways enough dirty laundry

The 038's are cool saws, strong and still able to use them today to be productive. If your just looking for something for fun then i would go with the 1050. They are harder to find but just as easy to get parts for. Who needs antivibe anyways...I want 100cc of torque

Last edited:
Score!

When I inspected the saws the 038 Mag was more beat up than the photo had shown. The 1050 was a bit grimy but most of the paint is still on it, the front hardly has a mark, the bar still had a lot of original paint on it and it's the original Homelite-branded chain with the linkplates carrying a capital H inside a rounded box. It fired up fine so I brought that one home.

I did a quick wipedown but I haven't checked compression yet. Here are the photos:

View attachment 175918View attachment 175919View attachment 175920View attachment 175921

I hope this works out for posting photos; I still don't have this down yet. More photos to come.

Olyeller

More photos

Rats. You have to click on them to open them. But at least they're there for you to see. Here are more images:

View attachment 175922View attachment 175923View attachment 175924View attachment 175925View attachment 175926

Sorry, but I've been wrestling with this system and can't get these photos to open for insertion. I could do it on the old system, but still need more practice or instruction here.

Anyhow, can anybody give me an idea of production date of this 1050? This one looks different compared to other photos I've seen in posts here and on Acres. Also, what does the coding on the bar mean? It doesn't carry any info like the new bars do. I believe this chain is .404 but I don't know official length--it measures about 31 inches from the front of the saw to the hard-nosed tip.

This is one heavy sucker but no plastic! The air filter looks like a little felt rug; anyone know where I can get a new one?

Thanks for all the cheerleading and encouragement from the AS crowd. Now I've got to get out to run this against the Stihl 064 BB and Dolmar 143 for a comparison test!

Olyeller

Latest posts

Back