Upgrade from MS250 to MS271?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asbury park

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I currently have a ms250 that I use mostly for maintenance on my hunting property and cutting a cord or two a year for the firepit. I know the 250 is capable of handling these tasks, but the issue I have with it is reliability. It's a real pain in the butt. Sometimes it starts no problem, sometimes it doesn't want to go. Sometimes it cuts out on me in the middle of doing some work in the woods. Stihl dealer always says it's perfect and the issue is bad gas. I've documented that on here before. Gas is always good and I know how to start the saw. I've read lots able the 250s having some issues and I think I may have got one of the problem saws.

So, long story short I've heard good things about the 271 and it will fit the tasks I need it for. I
am thinking about selling the 250 (on here possibly) and getting a new 271 with a 16" bar. Any thoughts?

The 271 is a better saw. It should have better anti-vibe, better air filtration, and more power. I think it also weighs a bit more. I do not know if it has any reliability issues, but I doubt it.

The 271 is a 50 cc class saw, so it should be a lot of fun with a 16" bar. I personally would not go more than that on it.

Let us know what you decide and how you like the new saw, because I think you will be buying one.....

I have the MS 271 and it will do exactly what you want. Mine has the 20" bar and it turns the chain well. Can not noodle with this chainsaw and it does not have an adjustable oiler. It cuts well. Buy with confidence.

I have an ms210, which is the smaller version of the 1123 family. While no world-beater, it has been reliable and easy to start, so I'm inclined to think that something's amiss with your ms250, despite what the local dealer says. I'd be inclined to figure out what's wrong with the saw and fix it. Otherwise buy a new saw from a local dealer who can fix what they sell and run ethanol-free gas, Motomix or similar to make sure that fuel isn't an issue.

better saws for the same or close to the same money. last i looked a 271 was $399 and there are several options for a better built saw at that price point.

Yup I agree. The best value going right now if you are price conscious is the Echo 590,

The 590 doesn't really interest me but it is a good value.

I suggest to find somebody who know the Stihl saw and fix the MS250.
They are good saw, regardless what others they say.
I'm not a Stihl or Husky or Echo lover, I love a good saw. Check my signature.
They are all good saw.
Good luck.

Yes those & throw in the Husky 545 & 555. Although a bit more $, but quality pro construction.
i though about throwing in the 2252 and 545 but there is enough price jump to them that i left them out to stay within the price range the OP is looking at.

They are all good saw.
Good luck.

I already have. I've taken it to 2 different Stihl dealers and they both say the same thing - nothing wrong with the saw and it had bad gas in it. That is after buying motomix directly from one of the dealers and using it exclusively.

... I've taken it to 2 different Stihl dealers and they both say the same thing - nothing wrong with the saw and it had bad gas in it. That is after buying motomix directly from one of the dealers and using it exclusively.
Maybe find a Husky, Echo, Dolmar or other dealer who knows how to fix what they sell?

They are all good saw.
Good luck.

I'd keep the 250 also, I had a 025 over here that cut real close to the same speed as a MS290 and weighs almost 3# less, maybe muff modd that 250, I think they have a more clogged up muff than the older 025. Steve

I already have. I've taken it to 2 different Stihl dealers and they both say the same thing - nothing wrong with the saw and it had bad gas in it. That is after buying motomix directly from one of the dealers and using it exclusively.
Take the muffler off from the saw and torch it (red) till no fire come out from holes.
Clean the screen with wire brush and reinstal.
See if that help.

I'd keep the 250 also, I had a 025 over here that cut real close to the same speed as a MS290 and weighs almost 3# less, maybe muff modd that 250, I think they have a more clogged up muff than the older 025. Steve
You right there.

I assume carb membranes being "old" from prior mix use. I would exchange them and have the carb retuned to motomix and be happy!

On the other hand I see the recomendations from ford150 to be MUCH better! Actually since you sound as if the power of the 250 has been fully sufficient, I would seriously look at the pro built Dolmar 421!!! In my eyes one of the best saw someone with your requirements could buy! Further about a bill less than your budget.

On the other hand I see the recomendations from ford150 to be MUCH better! Actually since you sound as if the power of the 250 has been fully sufficient, I would seriously look at the pro built Dolmar 421!!! In my eyes one of the best saw someone with your requirements could buy! Further about a bill less than your budget.
Would be a very nice upgrade!

I fought a similar problem on an 025 for several years and refused to use the saw most of the time. It had a non adjustable carb that I blamed for most of the problem. The pull rope finally broke and I noticed the tell tale signs of the coil rubbing the flywheel when it was apart. Reset the airgap and hasn't given a single problem since. It did get an adjustable carb and muff mod once it ran right and would start. Might be worth a check.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I was in town earlier and stopped by a small engine repair shop that had previously done some work on a mower for me. The guy is good so I figured I'd have him take a look at it. Should be there a couple days. I'll update you when I get it back.

Latest posts

Back