Upgraded 462 Dogs / Dawgs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azrel2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off, is it dogs or Dawgs?

Second off, I have used the search function on multiple sites but the forums are very confusing.

I have a brand new 462cm that has a ouny inner Dog on. I would like to upgrade to a set of bigger set of double dogs but I'm not necessarily into buying a new clutch cover.

Anyway, anyone have some suggestions and/or prices? Links?

First off, is it dogs or Dawgs?

Second off, I have used the search function on multiple sites but the forums are very confusing.

I have a brand new 462cm that has a ouny inner Dog on. I would like to upgrade to a set of bigger set of double dogs but I'm not necessarily into buying a new clutch cover.

Anyway, anyone have some suggestions and/or prices? Links?
Couldn’t figure out how to give you the link but the pic gives you the needed info.
4D6A4DD2-E3F3-40C1-B77B-C635ED65ECA6.png

Is it rude or stupid of me to say I might like something a little sexier than those?

Is it rude or stupid of me to say I might like something a little sexier than those?

Anything that fits the 44/66 series will work. NOT the 46 series.

I personally like the dawgs from the 064 myself on a 462, they work fine for hardwoods and don't take up too much real estate on the bar.

Or you can go to your dealer and have him order the outer dawg that matches the stock inner. you DON'T need to order a different clutch cover for any of these options.

Buy the dawgs from a 661R if you want your 462 to look cute.

I have the piltz dawgs on my 461. Very nice!

71BR%2BNnSUdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Dawgs have a larger spike on bottom. They’re generally used for felling/bucking in thicker barked wood.

889E828A-D107-41A5-A90B-B3EFC7373953.jpeg

This is a dog. He’s a very good one, but that’s beside the point for this discussion.

Spikes are the same top and bottom.

Stihl dawgs are really good, I haven’t ever felt the need to have anything bigger/sharper. Pro-Safety dawgs have a habit of taking chunks of bark out with them, and they take up too much bar length. I would just go to the dealer and get a set there.

Dawgs have a larger spike on bottom. They’re generally used for felling/bucking in thicker barked wood.

View attachment 793293

This is a dog. He’s a very good one, but that’s beside the point for this discussion.

Spikes are the same top and bottom.

Stihl dawgs are really good, I haven’t ever felt the need to have anything bigger/sharper. Pro-Safety dawgs have a habit of taking chunks of bark out with them, and they take up too much bar length. I would just go to the dealer and get a set there.

Here's another, and a great one!

WIN_20160926_165225.JPG

Do those require you to pose for pics on your deck in bare feet next to your saw with an absurdly long bar and huge sprocket? Sorry I had to...
i think i am good with nothing piltz ...however the stihl ms-170 with 36 inch bar is tempting ... for hardwood ...o_O

@catbuster you don't think that little tiny OEM dawg that came with it is a tad small? Or are you saying I go to my dealer and get a full new set?

@MontanaResident I was looking at those. I like them just wasn't sure on quality. You like them? Heavy duty enough?

@catbuster you don't think that little tiny OEM dawg that came with it is a tad small? Or are you saying I go to my dealer and get a full new set?

@MontanaResident I was looking at those. I like them just wasn't sure on quality. You like them? Heavy duty enough?

Very heavy duty. They look it, and are it. Do expect to have to make a trip to the HW store and get some proper hex bolts, washer and nuts. Also from Ebay get the roller or chain catcher to complete to ensemble.

The bucking spike that comes on a 1/2 wrap Stihl smaller than a 661 set up to do the Scandahoovian Stump Dance is not a dawg. But yes, if you’re running a bar length that makes it worth running a 6 horse saw, the little puny thing they call a bucking spike is pretty disappointing.

The double set of actual dawgs that Stihl sells are plenty adequate. Of course, of you’re running a 25 or less you’re just wasting your time and eating up your usable bar length.

Gotcha.

I read somewhere that there was a package that was the bigger clutch cover, the roller catcher and the felling dogs?

Should I just get all that at once from the dealer? I wonder how much that sets me back.

Gotcha.

I read somewhere that there was a package that was the bigger clutch cover, the roller catcher and the felling dogs?

Should I just get all that at once from the dealer? I wonder how much that sets me back.

I didn't price out the clutch cover but did the R model dogs and hardware from Stihl, came out to a bit over $50. I ordered them from my dealer....never heard from him, called him 3x and he said they were on the way. He never called to say they were in even a few months later, I'm not even bothering to call back.

Anyways, so I've still been using stock puny dog ever since. Eventually I'll get something better.

Back