Upgraded 462 Dogs / Dawgs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope my don't end up too big.

Can you guys answer a question for me?

Does Stihl sell a 25 inch AND a 24 inch bar? Or what? I am confused.

I am thinking about settling on a 28inch light bar for all my needs

20" and 28" are my favorite on a 70cc saw. 24" is just heavy without being able to reach the ground.

I put the 064 sized OEM Stihl inner bucking spike on my 462. I think it was Ryan who posted about it a while back, and is where I got the idea. Thx btw.

I knew I didn't want the huge 661R size. I wanted them large enough to get a decent bite on thick bark, and to keep it from hitting the case. I also wanted it to support the bar off the ground while sitting, but not use up 2"+ of cutting length. 1122-664-0505 is the inner one that I used. Retail is around $17. I didn't install an outer, as I really don't need it for what I use the saw for. The outer matching one is 1122-664-0504, if someone wants to run both. I'm not sure if that one fits the small and/or large 462 clutch cover. These two do have the hole for a roller chain catcher too. I also like that the bottom of the lowest spike is rounded, which helps it slide down the log when you're bucking.

Also, some of the cheap aftermarket ones are NOT heat treated, so they can bend if you're not careful. Just need to keep that in mind.

That's good info man. If I woulda talked to you a week ago, I woulda bought that off of you. I will log back in and review all the stuff I bought and post pictures...

well boys here it is, the finished product. I think I have assembled the perfect wood destroying machine for me. Got the new dogs on and a 28 inch light bar with a full skip chain.

It's truly the perfect machine

Indeed. Looks like a great wilderness saw. IMO, >90% is about keeping the chain sharp. Proper filing and keeping the chain out of the dirt, and you will be the envy of your firewood cutting friends.

Back