Use for Old 2-cycle Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RES

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have about 4 gallons of old 2-cycle mix that has been sitting around for about a year. Where is a good place to use it? Will it mess up a 4-cycle engine? Was thinking about adding a little to the lawn mower each time.

yup, the mower is the place for old mix...

wont do it any harm, just a bit of extra smoke (depending on how much you use per tank)

fill it in the car

I recycled old 2-stoke mixture in the car without any problems,
Cheers Vincent

I don't know if it was a coincidence, but I disposed of a couple of gallons of old gas mixed with two-cycle oil in an '89 Ramcharger once, and shortly after had to clean out the throttle body (TB fuel injection) and replace the O2 sensor. I don't do that anymore. It's good for cleaning wheel bearings, or any other gunky old machine stuff. It probably wouldn't hurt an old carbureted lawn mower, garden tractor, etc.

Fire balls

One of the more fun things I did in my youth was toss dixie cups filled with gas into a campfire. The resulting fireball would go about 20-30 feet in the air, turning in on itself as it went up. The event is made more exciting if you add heavy drinking to it. Of course, someone always winds up on fire and ruins the evening.

I don't know if it was a coincidence, but I disposed of a couple of gallons of old gas mixed with two-cycle oil in an '89 Ramcharger once, and shortly after had to clean out the throttle body (TB fuel injection) and replace the O2 sensor. I don't do that anymore. It's good for cleaning wheel bearings, or any other gunky old machine stuff. It probably wouldn't hurt an old carbureted lawn mower, garden tractor, etc.

+1, with all the electronic stuff on cars and trucks these days that would be the last place I would want to use it.

One of the more fun things I did in my youth was toss dixie cups filled with gas into a campfire. The resulting fireball would go about 20-30 feet in the air, turning in on itself as it went up. The event is made more exciting if you add heavy drinking to it. Of course, someone always winds up on fire and ruins the evening.

Ruins the evening??!?!?!? that just makes it friggin hilarious!!

I gather you saw me running to the lake! Most of the hair grew back though......

I have about 4 gallons of old 2-cycle mix that has been sitting around for about a year. Where is a good place to use it? Will it mess up a 4-cycle engine? Was thinking about adding a little to the lawn mower each time.

Smell it and see if it still smells like gasoline. If it does, use it in the mower or put it in you car or truck.

I can relate. We called it firewalking, started about halfway through the night. You just brought back a ton of memories.:laugh:

Kill fire ants, and to start fires. You can do both at the same time.

How true, I did the same thing last week but with a half gallon of diesel on an old rotten fir stump in the middle of my yard. It's been infested with ants for 4 years, but last week she burned for an hour. My neighbor had that confused "why is the middle of the yard on fire?" kind of look on his face until I explained.

Old gas also still works great as a parts washer.

Latest posts

Back