Used Homemade Logsplitter....Pricing ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy102579

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello again...I live in the city and only burn maybe 4-5 facecords of wood per winter in my older fireplace. Next year I am hoping to replace it to a Woodstove.

Anyways....I have always liked splitting wood by hand with my x27. I also have an old Ryobi 4 ton splitter I found on CL for $100.

Well A guy at work is selling his 13 year old homemade splitter. I saw a picture on his small phone today. He said it has a 5 HP Briggs Motor, 4" Cylinder, 2" shaft, 2-stage pump. It is just horizontal, no vertical. Wedge on 8" I-Beam. He said the only rusty part of it is the Beam. 15" wheels. Capable of handling 24" long logs.

It also has built in cradles. He is asking $700 FIRM. I have seen older splitters on CL for right around that price. He said he will start it up for me, run some wood through it and deliver it here.

Is that a fair price, and what else is good to check when I go look at it ? He said he has changed the oil every summer.

Like I said, I don't burn much wood a year, But always told myself I would love to own a gas splitter....

Offer him $400 and then settle on $500 and you have yourself a splitter. I never ever pay asking price! If he's firm on $700 then walk away. There are better deals to be had. If you aren't in a hurry you should be able to find a bargain.

You can buy brand new ones all day for $1000.

If you are patient and wait for sales, they can be head for around $800. The Dirty Hand Tools was promoted in that price range.

$700 for a used old, homemade is just dumb. For $400 maybe.

I am not putting down homemade, some are much better than factory but are also serious money too.

I bought a used Huskee 27 ton. Built some time in 2009. Ran great just needed cosmetic paint. Asking $60o, I offered $450 and we settled on $500. I have used it many hours splitting wood. I still have many logs on the ground that I need to buck n split. I've been happy with the purchase.

Back