Used MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's odd - when my 361 bar gets close to the ground, the dirt just spreads away -like when Moses parted the Red Sea.

Yes, that is how it mainly is .....:cheers: :agree2:

...but a derailing 36RM chain once reminded me that the Husky xps are better built......

........plastic under the clutch cover isn't always a good idea, a derailing chain eats it pretty fast......

Last edited:
Not to get off topic but when I offer beer for gas or beer before gas I get in a load of trouble so I let the 361 do the conversion and then it's guiltless .:biggrinbounce2:

Couple of comments suggested that the paint on the bar is a good indicator of saw use. I respectfully disagree. I've seen Stihl bars that look pretty trashed after one outing (dull chain, high heat, laying on the saw). I've also seen bars that look almost new after several cords of cutting (sharp chain, letting the saw do the work). Besides, anyone can slap on a new bar to make the saw look better.

there is no way I would take $325 for my 361 and I bought it used and likely not in as good a shape mine is missing warning sticker on hand gaurd but has 99% of its paint but air filter cover is slightly cracked (didnt see that on the picture) and the muffler is a little rusty but has 150 psi comp

like I said I wouldnt take that for mine sounds like a winner to me

About those white handles... the 280 has a white handle and it is not a "pro saw" to my knowledge whats the deal, I've also been looking at these but the deal on the 361 seems hard to beat.

Look at the rubber mounts to see if any are ripped ( annular buffer ) or missing , broken or melted plastic on the covers , scratches or gouges on the bottom and on the front any of which would be indicators of use .
If you know the dealer do not hesitate , if my dealer called me with that description I'd be there in a heart beat with an 8 footer to cut a few rounds .

:cheers:

About those white handles... the 280 has a white handle and it is not a "pro saw" to my knowledge whats the deal, I've also been looking at these but the deal on the 361 seems hard to beat.

They messed up the handle color thingy quite a while ago - actually it never was a sure sign.........:)

SawTroll what is the comparable Husky Saw to the Stihl and why do (or would) you prefer it cause I see you got a lot of Husky's but also the 361

And can anyone out there tell me anything about the Husky 36 that I have.. I can not find info anywhere. It has a 16 in bar, and says Air Injection of the side cover.

SawTroll what is the comparable Husky Saw to the Stihl and why do (or would) you prefer it cause I see you got a lot of Husky's but also the 361

I prefere the 361 to any Husky in the 60cc class, unless you find a really good 262xp (not 362xp).

The Euro (GE) 361s are a bit stronger than the US ones though.....:greenchainsaw:

Couple of comments suggested that the paint on the bar is a good indicator of saw use. I respectfully disagree. I've seen Stihl bars that look pretty trashed after one outing (dull chain, high heat, laying on the saw). I've also seen bars that look almost new after several cords of cutting (sharp chain, letting the saw do the work). Besides, anyone can slap on a new bar to make the saw look better.

If it has the original bar... Look at the paint wear. It will be very telltale of the amount and type of use. Also look at the chain, if it's dull as all get-out, you can assume the old guy ran it that way--which is hard on a saw. Why is it hard on a saw? A dull chain overworks the saw by keeping it in the highest rpm range. It's like standing there with the saw at WOT (wide open throttle), and holding it there for an extended period of time. Heck, that's not good on any engine.

Look for signs of misuse, like cracks or dents. If it's in the kind of condition the dealer is saying it's in... I'd pick it up today.

I amended my post to affirm what you are saying, and what I was trying to get at anyway. And you'll also see that I opened with 'If it has the original bar'... The bar is a good place to start to see if the saw was treated like cr@p.

Are you sure you should run your saw without that warning sticker? You could get hurt. :greenchainsaw:

you know I never thought of that:monkey: but what about those sharp teeth that seem to spin around you know someone could get hurt by those things! they dont have warning stickers on them:dizzy:

I made a post about the handle thing in a thread called "orange handle" last night and explained some of that might be what your looking for (i think its still on the second page)

you know I never thought of that:monkey: but what about those sharp teeth that seem to spin around you know someone could get hurt by those things! they dont have warning stickers on them:dizzy:

Yeah, mine spun around real bad the other day and before I knew it a bunch of old timbers were cut to pieces!

I just got my old chipper running, but it has stickers all over the place so I don't bother with eye protection or anything. New thread and some rebuild pictures will be posted in a day or two.

And can anyone out there tell me anything about the Husky 36 that I have.. I can not find info anywhere. It has a 16 in bar, and says Air Injection of the side cover.

It's an OK little saw. Keep the muffler screws tight, and don't try to cut 16" wood with it unless you don't have anything more powerful available.
16" is a lot of bar for a 2.2hp saw, I've got a 13" with 3/8 low profile chain on mine, works great on wood up to about 6", anything more and it starts to slow down.

Latest posts

Back