Used Saws ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaplant

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Where does everybody fine good used Stihl saws ? Ebay might be OK to sell a saw , but the guys buying get a little bid crazy . The 2 saw shops by me never have anything used . The Swap Sheet ( local sale paper ) has saws but almost never a Stihl .

I have a MS390 and a 026 both good saws ( I got rid of the junk ) but I think I am getting the chainsaw bug . I am sure you guys understand . Any ideas ?

Lakeside53 said:
Pawn shops - generally they won't take junk, and you get to touch them before buying.

..and just before Xmas and New Year is a great time to get some... sad, but true...

I have purchased used saws from ebay with good results. I check out the persons feedback, I generally buy from the original owner and I stay away from repair shops or tool merchants that are trying to "unload" something. The home owner/original owner can provide detailed history of the care and maintenence that the saw recieved while in their posession. If the saw is clean and the seller gaurantees it to work perfect or money back then I think its money well spent. When I sell a saw on ebay( which is rare ) I list it with an honest and accurate discription and I have a feedback rating that reflects this. Ask the seller questions about saw history, maintenence and return policy should it not live up to the description. The replies you get ( or lack of replies ) will let you know if its worth bidding on.

Glenn

Try the old fashioned way...ask around.

This may not be the best time of year for this but ask your friends and co-workers if they know anyone with a GOOD running saw they no longer use or need. I've bought 2 stilhls this way before. One worked out and one didn't. :confused: Chalk it up to education. You can usually get the straight history of the saw this way....but....this can also backfire if you are not interested in someone's old treasure (that is really junk) if you don't handle the walk away with diplomacy. Main thing is don't ever feel like you HAVE to buy (or pay too much) just because its a friend or co-worker, but again, it could make for trouble in the future.

That's the nice thing about pawn shops in my humble opinion. You can simply walk away without any concerns.;)

Hock shops are pretty good. Bring a flashlight and Torx screwdriver and pull the muffler. (they've never denied me that). Then start it up and see how it runs. (they usually still have gas in them). Go over the saw with a fine tooth comb and make an offer. Pawn shops wheel and deal but they usually have a very good idea what things are worth so it's rare to get a great deal.

Garage sales can also be OK but it's pretty rare to find the "good saws". (usually Poulans and Homelites)

kf_tree said:
i pretty much stir clear of used saw's........it's like using some one else's tooth brush.

I have sold numerous saw, all Stihls. I get a new one around every 7-8 months and have never had a complaint. Although I probably take better care of my stuff than your average homeowner/ a select few woodcutter. But, I do see your point.

Ask around at church, friends, bulletin board at work. I just got good as new 029 for $150 because a guy was moving to an area where he will not be sawing. Check out a few and look at wear points. Also a Husky 254 for $150, with two spare bars and several chains. Same thing. The guy moved to a townhouse. Check compression by pulling. Pull some good ones to get a feel for what is right.
Wilson

Is it just me or do the used saws at ebay seem too pricey. I was wanting to find a mid-sized saw from the late 70's or 80's to fix up and tinker with. I looked at some Stihls first but they were pretty expensive. Then I took a look at the Homelites which I assumed would be cheaper. Some of them with shipping would be $50.00 plus. Then they look like they need a lot of work and you don't know if they still have any life in them.

Just seems like they're over priced to me.

Rotax Robert said:
I agree, have seen some used saws go for as much or more than NEW

Rotax

I sold my used 029, in nice condition, a few years ago for 324.99 on ebay+$20 shipping. I had taken good care of it but whew:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: . I felt bad for the guy so I sold it to him for 1$ more than the #2 bidder. About $295 shipped. The guy still paid too much for it but I didn`t feel comfortable about taking somebody.

Glenn

In my book, used = risk. The only way to really reduce that risk is to buy one from someone you know and can trust. Best situation would be to get one from someone who just has too many saws and has hardly used it. In other words, a saw nut, like most of us on this site!

Buying used is more of a risk, but with a few simple checks can have some great rewards. It can take some work, and will take more time, but you can get a saw for cheap.

On ebay, you need to be prepared to bid on many saws over time to get one at the price you want. It is harder to get a deal on a smaller saw there though. The bigger saw market can be more finicky, and deals are more likely. Buy from a guy who has moved some saws with a good rating. I got my 066 there (there aren't many of them on the prairie) for $400, not pretty, but mechanically sound.

Garage sales can be good or bad. I bought my Super XL for $20. Chain would have cut better backwards, but the rest of the saw was remarkably nice. Scan the paper, I've seen some fairly decent deals, and often the seller is willing to negotiate. Chainsaws don't sell too well at garage sales in most towns. The point there is to get rid of them.

Pawn shops? If you get one with a clue (one that pops the muffler before buying), you can do okay, but it takes some time. Try to stick with independent shops, we've had a bunch of pawn chains pop up over the past few years. They tend not to deal unless the thing is growing cobwebs, and have "parameters" unless the thing has really been camping out. An independent guy is going to be more cash flow sensitive more often. As Lakeside mentioned, this is a good time of year. Also 2-3 years after a disaster of some sort. We had a huge ice storm a few years ago, and the used market perked up a bit, and will probably be better than average for a few more years as homeowners get tired of tripping over a saw they will never use again. I was looking at a couple of nice little saws with "cobwebs" on them and had started to deal with the owners when there was a big ice storm in that area. But, the saws will be back, or ones just like them.

Patience, and a screwdriver (torx for Stihl), and willingness to find out how the compression should feel like.

eBayware prices have been crazy high recently; as a bidder I hope the craze is over soon. There are some buys to be found. I watched a Husky 268 sell for $135.00 + shipping. Motorsag (George Blake, THE Jonsered guru) listed a Jonsered 920 that he had rebuilt (new seals, rings, etc) and it sold for $285.00. Somebody mentioned that pawn shops don't usually offer great deals, and that has been my experience. If you're more comfortable handling the saw first, be diligent is searching pawn shops & garage sales. Talk to the people at the pawn shops, let them know you're serious about quality saws. Maybe a box of donuts once in a while (you never know....).

kf_tree said:
i pretty much stir clear of used saw's........it's like using some one else's tooth brush.

If you have some experience with saws, there's no reason you can't get good deals on a used saw.
I do agree that eBay can be hard to deal on. A lot of folks are trying to get rid of their junk. One method I've found that helps weed out the bad sellers, is to email them and ask for their phone number, then call and talk to them in person.

Latest posts

Back