Used stihl 280 opinions....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A31unit

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking for a saw for cutting a small amount of firewood per year. Maybe 1-2 cords at most. Found this used ms280 on Craigslist.
$150 asking price and he is open to offers.
Broken and completely missing chain brake but apparently runs strong. Is it worth this price? Could I acquire parts and fix the chain brake?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That's definitely a good looking saw. Are you able to take a peek inside the cylinder (through plug hole, or muffler?) chain brake assembly shouldn't be too hard to find around here. Good find,A...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-CHAINSA...-STIHL-1133-792-9101-/231875576903?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-CHAINSAW-MS270-MS280-CHAIN-BRAKE-KIT-BOX2655F-/361475802709?nav=SEARCH

I'm sure your dealer could supply these parts as well. Id imagine it's just the handle that's broken and missing. Should only take a few minutes to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have heard the replacement of these parts can be tricky. I am mechanically inclined but never really worked on a saw before. I have the time to do it. And am thinking I could probably get the saw for around $120

Show the costs of chain brake parts as part of your bargaining on price

I had a new 280. Had the rear handle mounted brake trip as well as front paddle. CQB maybe? I liked that feature and never had issues. . Just be aware it might be a bit more complicated to fix

I thought good one saw for firewood. Stronger but heavier than my 026 so i fixed the 026 for 90% of my use and have bigger saw for 10%.

Overall good saw and i would definetly buy any good saw with good cylinder for 120 or 150 $

It doesn't appear to have a rear handle brake. My preference would be for an 260/026 but I think this would be fine for 1-2 cords per year.

Replacing the brake is not complicated in my opinion. You can go to the beg for manuals thread here and get the shop Manual. It has step by step instructions.

Hmmm. Though decision. I see what you are saying about the rear handle brake appears to be missing also. The front handle brake parts are $50 if I need to buy the guts as well as the handle. Now I have to see to the rear brake as well.

I don't think this is a c-bq model with the rear brake. After closer examination it does appear to be missing the throttle lock though.

I don't think this is a c-bq model with the rear brake. After closer examination it does appear to be missing the throttle lock though.

That's what I meant when I said rear brake

Also an easy fix but I find it concerning. May be more issue underneath the covers.

I will add that this saw has been used and is currently in use by a local tree service....

Went and looked at the saw. It was ridden hard and there were additional issues.
-left side plastic case cracked
-the housing on the right side near the top where the rubber anti vibe grommet went was broken in half and not even holding the mount so the saw was essentially in 2 halves not connected together-
- missing throttle lock
- missing chain brake-
- another 1 or 2 areas around the case that I could see cracks.
It did start and run pretty well but just not willing to go for it. I got the feeling that he would have let it go for almost any price I offered. He was a young guy with a small tree service. He seemed to be very nice. Thanks to everybody for your help

Yes when u said tree service I figured, rode hard put away wet.... You made good choice!!!!

Another will come along

Back