Used Stihl 361, pre-purchase health check

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBleedOrange

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently installed 2 wood stoves and realized my Stihl 025 is not large enough to cut all the wood I will need so I'm looking at purchasing a used Stihl 361. The owner states he purchased the saw last year and used it to cut a "few" trees in Florida after the hurricane. The saw has a 24" chain and he is asking $300. I have yet to personaly see the saw but the pictures show it to be in good shape. I would love any information on things to checkout before making the purchase?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

It's hard to do by long distance...

Visual inspection, pulling the muffler and a compression check (not the rope test) is pretty much what you'd need to do to be really sure. If it starts easily, runs well and has been looked after, you're probably ok.

04ultra said:
Just make sure it's not "Big Brutus"....Inside joke..

361 are great saws..

:ices_rofl:

Hey, low time saw - not even a tank of gas used!!! The side label will be missing though - damn vultures..

Thanks for the replies,

I will be looking at the saw tonight and planned to do a compression test using a compression gauge inserted in the spark plug hole and pulling the rope until the gauge stops increasing. This is how a compression test is done on 2-stroke dirtbikes.

Lakeside - you stated "compression check (not the rope test)" Is this different than what I was planning on doing?

IBleedOrange said:
Thanks for the replies,

I will be looking at the saw tonight and planned to do a compression test using a compression gauge inserted in the spark plug hole and pulling the rope until the gauge stops increasing. This is how a compression test is done on 2-stroke dirtbikes.

Lakeside - you stated "compression check (not the rope test)" Is this different than what I was planning on doing?

Nope, you're fine. A good 361 will be over 150. A great 361 will be over 165. Your compression guage needs to be the type that has the schraer valve at the tip where it screws into the spark plug thread. If you have the time, get he saw warm, shut it down, wait a few minutes then do your compression test.

Lakeside53 said:
Nope, you're fine. A good 361 will be over 150. A great 361 will be over 165. Your compression guage needs to be the type that has the schraer valve at the tip where it screws into the spark plug thread. If you have the time, get he saw warm, shut it down, wait a few minutes then do your compression test.

Hmmmmmm Wonder how you thought of the price differance of good and great.
Anybody looking for a 361 emblem ?

Lakeside - Thanks, that's what I was looking for. My 025 had a compression reading (engine was cold) this morning of around 125 after 4 -5 pulls of the cord. I guess the 361 runs slightly higher compression.

Latest posts

Back