Used woodmizer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkarlson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently stumbled across a bandmill that may be gotten at a reasonable price. I checked today and it is a LT40HD G-24 woodmizer. The owner told me she thought they had bought it 8 years ago from a Amish man. Looking it over it looks to be in decent shape. Not that I know much about bandmills. Is in a shed and from the looks of the set up it has always been in the shed. Anyone have a clue what this might be worth? Dont have any pictures at the moment but prob. could get a couple later this week.

ok not funny....I post this thread and when page refreshes 3 threads below this one is someone talking bout a lt40 for $13000 lol...guess I should read first before opening mouth...or hmm something like that.

the prices vary widely...as do the mills...check out how many hours are on the mill and see of they have any records of the maintenance performed..

I have noticed that the amish tend to take very good care of their tools...but it might have a zillion hours on it...might indicate that it needs repowering..

OTOH..'mizers can be overhauled for not alot of $$...the parts that go south
are usually commonly available either through WM or open purchase..bearings and whatnot.

The "H" in that model number is what piques my interest..Hydraulics. :greenchainsaw:

Edit:the mill in the thread below is a vastly different mill...it is a manual Lt40..the one you mentioned is another breed of animal, and typically more expensive...

Last edited:
yes it has what i think is hydraulic lift and aslo the log turner...dont know the name of these parts lol....I've watched a woodmizer run once for an hour or so but it was computer controlled and very fast. This one seems to be all hydraulic...running off a 24 hp diesel...guess I should take some pictures and pay some attention to details next time .

yes it has what i think is hydraulic lift and aslo the log turner...dont know the name of these parts lol....I've watched a woodmizer run once for an hour or so but it was computer controlled and very fast. This one seems to be all hydraulic...running off a 24 hp diesel...guess I should take some pictures and pay some attention to details next time .

starting in about 1997 they put a 2 plane log clamp on it..dunno when the toe boards came in...log turner, and loader arms...nice toys. mine is all manual.
but I am still making a butt ton of lumber.

What are they asking ,if you don't mind me asking?

The diesel HD's start about 40K$ new...and they retain their value.

i had a guy trying to sell me on some hyd. mills for the 5 to 7 thousand price one time [don't know if a dealer, hustler or bs'er]. i figured they were ragged out. agree on the maintenence. those mills will saw a lot in a few hours.

You can check used mill prices on this page.

http://www.sawmillexchange.com/

Of course it depends on how many hours and how it's been cared for, but unless it's been totally trashed Woodmizer will be able to supply all the parts needed to get it running sweet again.

Even a worn out engine isn't the end of those mills, if it's still in good condition and priced right you can replace the engine and wear out a 2nd one.

Ian

I didnt even think of checking for hours....when I went in the building I was expecting a small homemade bandmill or something not even close to what I found. I was totally shocked to find a woodmizer. My cousin described it as a small sawmill and that the lady didnt want very much for it. Talking to the lady myself got me no definite answer, said she would have to think about it and let me know. Nice lady though...told me I could cut up anything that was down on her property and that I could hunt next year.
I wasnt in the market for someting this size....heck ive only recently considered buying a csm. If the price is right I will consider it.

...when I went in the building I was expecting a small homemade bandmill or something not even close to what I found. I was totally shocked to find a woodmizer. My cousin described it as a small sawmill and that the lady didnt want very much for it...

Doesn't this remind you of the story of the little old lady who had her long lost son's car in the barn that has been sitting there since he left and gee I just want it out of there... and when you go to look at it you see a mint condition 69 Porsche that just needs a little soap and water to get the hay dust off of it? Will ya take a thousand bucks for it?

You were looking for a csm and you might go home with a fully hydraulic bandmill... talk about your bait and switch on the wife... :cheers:

(go for it)

yep... He's been bit...

better call logrite...take two and bust up a couple of pines in the morning...

An LT40 in a barn owned by a little 'ole lady...............argggg then {sigh}

RD

Well its been couple weeks so I went down to talk about the mill again. She now says she may have another person interested in it. Anyway I asked her if it was ok if I looked it over again and took couple pictures anyway. Talking with her hired hand "manager" he says that her husband told her to take nothing less then $20,000 for the saw, sharpner and straightner. I think they are grasping a bit. I believe this saw is going to sit there for a while then the price will drop drastically. Since I wasnt in the market for something this big I can wait them out. If they can get it sold for that kind of money then good for them.

Anyway here is a few pictures. The hours show 1140 and the last two pictures are the straightner and band sharpner. If anyone is interested in the saw ,by chance, I could give contact information.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 66806

View attachment 66807

View attachment 66808

View attachment 66809

View attachment 66810

I don't think that the engine is a diesel. It looks like a Kohler engine which would be gas. think the mill looks in good shape but I think it will sit there for a while for 20,000. Get the serial number and call Woodmize to see what year it was built and get an appox resale value. The serial number should be located just back ot the box on the right side of the main tube.

Last edited:
man..........that seat and them hydraulics look real good, i mentioned a seat when i got my lt40 manual and got death threats from my dad and wife. both have quit me now..........guess i'll keep walkin'.........no wonder i want to have a beer while millin'.

$20K....no way. I have seen alot of used LT40HD in the $12-16K range. Also if has been sitting a long time it may be a headache to get it running right & clean out the mouse nests. I don't know what it is in a plastic coated copper wire that mice find appetizing.....

RD

Last edited:
$20K....no way. I have seen alot of used LT40HD in the $12-16K range. Also if has been sitting a long time it may be a headache to get it running right & clean out the mouse nests. I don't know what it is in a plastic coated copper wire that mice find appetizing.....

RD

couldn't imagine the damage mice could do to the wiring......found nests and mice a couple of times in behind the blower screen on mine..........reckon' that'd be a mess if hadn't seen it? and that was with it just sittin' for a week.

couldn't imagine the damage mice could do to the wiring......found nests and mice a couple of times in behind the blower screen on mine..........reckon' that'd be a mess if hadn't seen it? and that was with it just sittin' for a week.
At work we often run into damaged equiment that we have set up in remote locations where mice have gotten in and chewed wires and actually caused short circuits.

$20K is a lot of coin for something that has that many hours on it. Before I paid that much for something like that I'd have to see it running. Even then... my mindset would be to take that $20K and put it towards a new machine that nobody has had a chance to mess with yet. My ballpark on used equipment (unless it's truly be used very little) is START with half the cost of a new one and go DOWN from there depending on if the equipment has deteriorated or is well used.

Latest posts

Back