Using a tree stand for a removal (not joking)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK this is a ridiculous post but it's true and I need some advice.

I have a buddy who is planning on using a hunting tree stand for limbing and blocking down a 65 foot tree. For those not familiar with what a tree stand is:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06167a.jpg

(it has a tool that wrapps around the tree and you sort of inch your way up with it).

I am trying my best to explain to him what is going to happen a couple seconds before he hits the ground and dies if he goes through with this. Being that I'm not a climber, it's a bit difficult.

I told him that if he is absolutely intent on cutting this tree down, he would probably be better off using spikes that using a tree stand, DESPITE the fact that no matter what, he's probably going to get hurt big time. I mean there are freaking power lines involved and everything. Any advice on what I should tell him?

OK this is a ridiculous post but it's true and I need some advice.

I have a buddy who is planning on using a hunting tree stand for limbing and blocking down a 65 foot tree. For those not familiar with what a tree stand is:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06167a.jpg

(it has a tool that wrapps around the tree and you sort of inch your way up with it).

I am trying my best to explain to him what is going to happen a couple seconds before he hits the ground and dies if he goes through with this. Being that I'm not a climber, it's a bit difficult.

I told him that if he is absolutely intent on cutting this tree down, he would probably be better off using spikes that using a tree stand, DESPITE the fact that no matter what, he's probably going to get hurt big time. I mean there are freaking power lines involved and everything. Any advice on what I should tell him?

Is there any chance this "buddy" might be you?;):monkey:

Kinda reminds me of the time at "band camp" when this guy drank something he shouldn't have, so he calls the poison hot line and tries to find out how much danger/trouble he (oops, I mean his friend) is in.:greenchainsaw:

Is there any chance this "buddy" might be you?;):monkey:

Kinda reminds me of the time at "band camp" when this guy drank something he shouldn't have, so he calls the poison hot line and tries to find out how much danger/trouble he (oops, I mean his friend) is in.:greenchainsaw:

No, it is not me. Why would I do something that stupid when I have the right gear? :monkey: But if it makes you feel any better, you can pretend it's me, LOL.

(I have the gear, just not the training yet)

I have done a couple of big projects with a rented lift. What do you guys think of them for those without climbing skills or equipment?

Your friend is lucky to have you for a nanny.

I keep a deer stand like that in the truck all the time! Handiest tool I have. He will make out fine just make sure he's got a sharp chain on his saw. Fatigue can lead to injuries you know.

I can't tell if you're being serious or joking! I would think that with a tree stand, you have very little mobility when things happen...during the snap and drop. On spikes and a lanyard, you can move left, right, back a little...spikes seem to prefent a lot more escape paths if things go wrong, I would think.

I have done a couple of big projects with a rented lift. What do you guys think of them for those without climbing skills or equipment?

Yea I wonder how much a Genie boom costs for a day. I would think even an idiot like me with a red reputation could use one of those safely.

Yea I wonder how much a Genie boom costs for a day. I would think even an idiot like me with a red reputation could use one of those safely.
dont count on it. u need to learn how to cut and how the tree parts fell. what u gonna do if u bust up the rental lift:dizzy: come c me and ill give you some hands on lessons. after a few lessons i still dont think u will be able to handle a tree down safe. it takes many years to be good and smooth. id say give r a shot and find out for your self. all the questions in the book will not make cutting any easier but will help you understand a little more. every cut is made too order so to speak and require adjustments making each cut a lil different when you are handling down a tree. every wood has its own characteristics and acts a lil different from one another when cutting them apart. some rip more than others some hold a hinge better than others some are very strong others are not. there is so many variables that even the most advanced cutters are still learning. it takes many years to be good and smooth and learn how different species act under the gun.

It all depends on your location ,i think.
I can get 40ft self propelled for 325first day,275 2nd and 3rd,or 1200 for the week.The bigger ones REALLY go up in price.
Plus some may be a little cheaper than say a year ago,because of the higher availability due to const. work being so slow.
Call around for prices.make sure you ask for grand total.There are taxes,del.,and ins. charges.And make sure they will allow you to do tree work . Some wont allow it on newer mach....some wont allow it at all.

do not use near primary power lines

Plasmech, Hang in there, these guys will tire of slamming you and start answering your questions. A number of years back there was a guy that would sub me out when he got himself in trouble on a job. No lie, he would use Fleet Farm rope tied around his waist and those screw in tree stand climbing spikes. Those guys are out there! He hasn't called me in years, maybe dead. Pete

Plasmech, go to the vidio forum and check out the "they gottr all figured out in Kankakee" (or something like that) thread. That should give you some pointers. :)

Maybe someone can post a link.

The ones I have used required a truck to move it. I forget what the one my daughter rented cost. The one I rented for my own job was $125/day. I thing it only went up to 35'. It is a long ways down from there.

Note, my power company, and my daughter's will come and drop your service wire allowing you to trim trees near them. I was shocked at the messy job at her place we were successful with. I had told them those trees had to go, the sooner, the better and it would have to be pros. You know how kids listen. They rented a lift, told his dad and I to bring our chainsaws, and had the power company drop their service.

I know it sounds crazy. It's actually my uncle who wants to do it, he's a hunter as well. It is not me!

Tree stand has no tie in for the "climber", gives a fall sense of security. A tree stand is a very inefficient way to climb a tree (no surprise). I heard a statistic that the highest number of "falling out of trees" injuries in the U.S. occur not from people free climbing trees, not from pro tree workers (no surprise) but from hunters falling out of tree stands, either while hunting, or installing the tree stands or climbing up or down to the tree stands. It's a lousy way to work in a tree, you're fixed to the trunk, you have zero crown mobility. It's kind of like a bucket truck arm frozen in one position except much more sketchy.

Try Googling "tree stand accidents".

Then again it's practically impossible to talk people out of their "brilliant" ideas about doing things in trees.
-moss

I know it sounds crazy. It's actually my uncle who wants to do it, he's a hunter as well. It is not me!

Nope, doesn't sound crazy to me. Just a little unsafe.

I had built a tree stand a few years ago. When it was all done, there was a pretty good sized branch right in the middle of a shooting lane. I couldn't quite reach it from my stand so...

I jumped from my stand to the tree, cut off the limb, and slid down. It was only about 5' out and I was up about 12'. It probably would have hurt just a tad if things would have not worked out!

Latest posts

Back