Using a tree stand for a removal (not joking)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do in michigan:)

Damn wind blows too hard here, they have moved into the culverts.

So, you have all this gear, and you are itching to use it, why all the nonsense? Just head over to your Uncles house and drop the sucker? No fuss, no muss no more drama!!!!

But that would make sense!

With all the crazy ways trees have been taken down over the years, I'm still trying to see the down side to this idea. If it's a straight spar, whers the problem? He can get to it with the stand, tie himself in with a flipline and harness of some sort and work from the treestand platform. Wheres the problem? If he's dropping it to the ground, bombing it I think is the term used in here, so be it. And if he's tying it off to lower it down slowly, so long as it drops and clears the stand, (rope and log), where's the harm other than the purists that demand that all the "rules" are followed and all the gear is used? I would think the biggest concern is the weight the stand can hold. They are rated for certain amaounts of weight so if the person + gear + log weight is more than the rating, danger will follow.

And from someone that spends hundreds of hours in treestands during hunting season, they are as safe as the person in them wants them to be. Falling out of a stand usually happens when someone falls asleep or slips on ice buildup and on occasion, trip ups and isn't tied in to the tree with a harness. The stands themselves are safe. Its the people in them that are unsafe.

i have used mine before to trim limbs.

never with a chainsaw.it is not at all stable enough for tree work,especially removals.they are mainly made to sit in or stand without moving much.this guy is going to learn the hard way unfortunately.

I get a kick out of the tree stand death and injuries stats. It really isn't a mystery. You have hundreds of thousands of people each year climbing trees that have received little if any tree climbing instruction. Most aren't condition for it either. They throw their gun or bow over their shoulder and struggle up the tree. They know what they know, use what they have, and that's fine. Obviously there will be many deaths and injuries.

Then there is the 35 year tree vetteran like my dad, whose chain brakes (false link he added) on his wooden board stand and he hits the ground 20+ feet later still standing on his stand. He woke up frozen in a puddle, with a jammed back, and pulled himself out of the woods by his arms. One trip to the chiropracter and he is 100% today. He should have had a safety harness on, but this was probably 20 years ago and I don't think they were a big thing.

Last edited:
I agree!

I think the climbing deer stand may be the most overlooked tool available to an arborist! I've not been spreading the word because I fear it's use will become widespread and put me out of business.

Serious Treeco? They can't do much on a tree that needs canopy work or isn't perfectly straight. I would think that the guy that would try this already is. Every do it yourselfer that I know has a treestand or 2 and I have yet to see one doing treework out of it. I don't know though, just my observations. I could see a city guy doing it though, that concrete jungle causes weird reactions.

Oh man, you got me good, lol. :cheers:

I guess I thought cause Rope said he used one maybe it was an old man thing I haven't caught on to yet, lol.

I am trying every day to convince my uncle it's a stupid idea. I was in a deer stand once, observing wildlife. That %*#er would migrate down the tree every 2 minutes or so. 1/8" felt like a mile. For cutting with a chainsaw? Forget about it. I want to be able to swing out of the way of a rogue branch. Even an idio noob like me know THAT much. And once again, NO, it is NOT me who wants to use the tree stand.

hay rope if you like the hunting stand on a manual, putting a bar stool in the bucket will make yer ears wiggle:cheers:

That stool idea actually sounds nice maybe I will try it sometime.
not a good idea, how about running a 32ft ladder out of a fully extended bucket. another bad idea:dizzy:

Why to you young steers I bet I still can surprize ya on a good hair day
the dog ain't dead yet lol
im just pokin atcha Mr.rope. now how about a pic of young rope in his western country atire. people have said Mr. rope climbs in leathers and picks the coppanhaggen from his teeth with a scorpion's tail:jawdrop: if his lasso wont get it his bull whip will

Last edited:
im just pokin atcha Mr.rope. now how about a pic of young rope in his western country atire. people have said Mr. rope climbs in leathers and picks the coppanhaggen from his teeth with a scorpion's tail:jawdrop: if his lasso wont get it his bull whip will

I have found my cane and Geritol the most effective tool in management:laugh:

you gotta be as country as me, bro! :cheers:

attachment.php
dang! u realy are country,id a never guessed u were a:censored:religious man:D. thats one hellofa mug u got there treeslayer:rock:

Latest posts

Back