Using a tree stand for a removal (not joking)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im just pokin atcha Mr.rope. now how about a pic of young rope in his western country atire. people have said Mr. rope climbs in leathers and picks the coppanhaggen from his teeth with a scorpion's tail:jawdrop: if his lasso wont get it his bull whip will

Ehhhhh you asked fer it lol

Arkansas deer hunting

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :confused:

attachment.php

PA deer hunting.
Which way did he go?

attachment.php

VA deer hunting.
might as well get comfortable.

attachment.php

treestands are only legal if the climber has an AARP card.

Last edited:
Back to the subject at hand....

..the biggest problem I've had using a deer stand for tree removal is working large lateral branches. I've come to learn there are two schools of thought on how to work these large laterals. When I was a rookie I would position myself in the tree so I could remove the deer stand and mount it on the lateral limb, scary but it works. A good friend was helping out one day and suggested "how about a second deer stand". The lights came on! With a second stand I can stay in the first...and mount the second one on the limb. Moving from the first to the second stand can be a bit hairy.

Now my biggest problem is the damn deer stand keeps wanting to slide around the lateral branch and I end up hanging on the bottom of the limb!

Do you think I'm not making it tight enough on the limb?

Is there another type of deer stand that might be better for limb scooting?

Mr TreeCo You should try using a large hose clamp under the tree stand connected to the large lateral branch. it will prevent the stand from slipping. Although extra equipment is needed to "bring-along" (hose clamps,screwdriver,etc) it is well worth it. those 1 inch death drops will make a man dribble in his pants.

by the time yall get the dang tree stand up wll has already knocked a few down and will be truckin home fer lunch.:cheers:

Back to the subject at hand....

..the biggest problem I've had using a deer stand for tree removal is working large lateral branches. I've come to learn there are two schools of thought on how to work these large laterals. When I was a rookie I would position myself in the tree so I could remove the deer stand and mount it on the lateral limb, scary but it works. A good friend was helping out one day and suggested "how about a second deer stand". The lights came on! With a second stand I can stay in the first...and mount the second one on the limb. Moving from the first to the second stand can be a bit hairy.

Now my biggest problem is the damn deer stand keeps wanting to slide around the lateral branch and I end up hanging on the bottom of the limb!

Do you think I'm not making it tight enough on the limb?

Is there another type of deer stand that might be better for limb scooting?

Jeeeeez Dan, are you not thinking at all here? I mean it's really simple!!!
Take a cordless drill and run lag bolts into the tree stand to hold it steady on the lateral limb!!
DUH!! Was that really that hard:monkey:

:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

OK this is a ridiculous post but it's true and I need some advice.

I have a buddy who is planning on using a hunting tree stand for limbing and blocking down a 65 foot tree. For those not familiar with what a tree stand is:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06167a.jpg

(it has a tool that wrapps around the tree and you sort of inch your way up with it).

I am trying my best to explain to him what is going to happen a couple seconds before he hits the ground and dies if he goes through with this. Being that I'm not a climber, it's a bit difficult.

AWESOME!!!!:jawdrop:

I told him that if he is absolutely intent on cutting this tree down, he would probably be better off using spikes that using a tree stand, DESPITE the fact that no matter what, he's probably going to get hurt big time. I mean there are freaking power lines involved and everything. Any advice on what I should tell him?

Awesome!!!!!!! Get some pics!:jawdrop:

I'm sure there's a few more "closet" tree stand users our there! I've used them rarely but at times they are useful. First, like rope says, they are useful for chunking down a spar. And I find them handy when cabling and installing lights or other such type of stuff. It's soooo much easier to use a drill from one. As always I'm tied in, often twice, and I just consider it another tool. I'll agree that it has a VERY LIMITED application but can be useful at times. YMMV.

I'm sure there's a few more "closet" tree stand users our there! I've used them rarely but at times they are useful. First, like rope says, they are useful for chunking down a spar. And I find them handy when cabling and installing lights or other such type of stuff. It's soooo much easier to use a drill from one. As always I'm tied in, often twice, and I just consider it another tool. I'll agree that it has a VERY LIMITED application but can be useful at times. YMMV.
a tree stand is ok fer you cause you are a welder by trade, go figure!!!:buttkick: if i need a tree stand ill wrap my tailing rope around where i need to stand and use that

Last edited:
That may be WLL so is nails and quite a few others about here. Fact is I've been makin' chips for 25 years. Not full time for a LONG time but still doing it.
What's yer point?

That may be WLL so is nails and quite a few others about here. Fact is I've been makin' chips for 25 years. Not full time for a LONG time but still doing it.
What's yer point?
i make more chips in 25 days than u made in all of your 25 years. i cant c much getting done standing on a tree stand. i get up in it and go out on em, i go where the work is and i squeeze em where they fit. if a tree stand was of any use in tree care why dont any arbo supply co.'s sell em?:deadhorse:

i make more chips in 25 days than u made in all of your 25 years. i cant c much getting done standing on a tree stand. i get up in it and go out on em, i go where the work is and i squeeze em where they fit. if a tree stand was of any use in tree care why dont any arbo supply co.'s sell em?:deadhorse:

I pick up more brush in two hours than you chip in two days:hmm3grin2orange:
I have used a stand a few times in twenty four years it is only for comfort
and only on spars that nothing larger than firewood can be cut and thrown.
I don't believe it will ever be widely used as they are too limited but I know
when to use one. If I had Cadillac spurs that did not dig in when loaded on
them I would just stay loaded on them taking down twenty five foot of the
remaining spar.

remaining spar.

Mr. rope, you can also make cool little ☺ by using the Alt and the 1 button on the number pad. :) ☻ opps just made da new pres! was waiten for dat for the 20'th o well.........you have a good new year!:cheers: stay safe!

remaining spar.
trade the deer stand for a good set of geko's, you will need em when you start working fer the man after you sell the biz.

trade the deer stand for a good set of geko's, you will need em when you start working fer the man after you sell the biz.

If, If, If I can sell the farm for what I am asking. I will probably
keep my flying machine and grapple and stumper but who knows:laugh:
I almost bought a set of them geko's and they may do the trick.

If, If, If I can sell the farm for what I am asking. :clap: :clap:

If you get your asking price for the farm... contact the "Secretary of Treasurey" cause there looking ways to stabilize the HOUSING MARKET.....

Go for TARP Funding ...........I'am , before they run out.......:dizzy: :dizzy:

I also received a call TODAY.......a lady from the local SBA office....... "we have money available to LOAN ". My question to her " how would we ever pay back the LOAN ?" :dizzy:

Obama is no longer offering $3000 TAX CREDIT for each new hire........Big Policy Change !!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

If I had Cadillac spurs that did not dig in when loaded on them I would just stay loaded on them taking down twenty five foot of the remaining spar.

Oh hell, my spurs are stuck again, will one of you guys send up the tree stand? Either way I might spend the night up here.

Back