v.t cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gloves are only good for throwing the throw ball. No need for a glove in a tree. At least for me anyway. I'm a sensitive guy I like to feel the bark and look for little hand holds or finger holds.

Originally posted by BigJohn
Gloves are only good for throwing the throw ball. No need for a glove in a tree. At least for me anyway. I'm a sensitive guy I like to feel the bark and look for little hand holds or finger holds.

I am a sensitive guy....but my girlfriend's skin is even more sensitive. Gloves for always....EXCEPT when throwing the throwball!

love
nick

Years in gymnastics, palms sliding across wood and steel around and around, tears up some hands; used to take a piece of sandpaper and sand the callous's peaks down so hand would close right, especially when sore and ya have to grab that lil'itty bitty pen to write with in school, and hand doesn't curl right, actually pains to do so agianst the thick, stacked callouses!

If ya always wore the 'grips' to protect hands, your hands wouldn't toughen up, and remain 'soft' etc. the older ones told us. The fingerless grips were a lil'more pro looking, what ya saw on TV etc.; some always wore'em. Of course the older ones were right; you could have soft hands and therein more problematic for the work required. You see, you can spend more time on your hands than feet them hours, and the callouses can run similar in response.

Eventually, palms kinda did 'leather out' from not wearing the grips; but not after some rounds of silver dollar size hunks of flesh; lots of times rooted in callous would shear off rotating around a bar; i guarantee, it'll change your expression; but ya usually best not let go.... We called them 'rips', and the stuff the coach sprayed in there to help after having a hunk of palm come off- 'battery acid'. Then, you went back to work with grips, to protect at least until new flesh grew in; just a cost of doing buisness to a bunch of 'swingers'!

M'Lady likes the leather fine; the strength and the thick, pliable softness. For most things, these mitts have done me fine as well; and i'm still reminded of how i paid for'em!

:alien:

Last edited:
Originally posted by BigJohn

I thought about that all dayy yesterday, OK, well not all day. When I was working harder to use the tree. I'm sore today, really streched with those last two trees.

I'm totally comssumed by getting to a place of climbing that out does you young bucks.

Jack:D

I'm totally comssumed by getting to a place of climbing that out does you young bucks.
Jack,
just be the best you can be... And tree work is about a loty more than just climbing...
And as far as out doing young bucks... if you mean Big Jon... good luck... and let me know what you caome up with... It's more in the quest than the accomplishment..

Originally posted by Nathan Wreyford
Murph, glad you fancy big jon and his climbing ability. I have no doubt he is talented. The constant droning about how good he is is getting a bit Treescompany-ish. ;)

Jack. I do not have the age or wisdom of others but Murph has it right, it is a race, but mainly with yourself.

That which is deep within, that which has always been there from child to now is the same, does not get old, is who one really is. That is self timeless, and the place of vigor. Even as age changes it remains constant.

To stay young is a state of awareness that self can with the vigor of 'self' retain health and ability.

Climbing with guys like John are a bench mark of, yes, personal truth. Even if it were not about climbing and the tree it would still apply to what ever one was up to.

This is clear to me and I'd expect a lot of, "Hugh?", having said it.

Thanks,
Jack

Am I just Old School or what? I have never used anything other than a Blake's Hitch. What are the advantages of using a VT than a Blake's hitch? I have read that it is quicker. But tying a Blake's hitch only takes about 30 secs to maybe a minute for me.
I guess I don't come out of a tree that fast to cause alot of heat build up in the knot. But I also weigh 130 lbs too...

Also, for the Gloves. I have never used them. I don't feel comfortable. I like to feel tree bark and my ropes.

Confused taznleo1:confused:

Thanks Butch for pointing me to the thread. I think this old dog will try and learn a few new tricks. Think I will go and try it. I was just curious about why I didn't hear that much about the Blake's and everything about VT.
Thanks again.
taznleo1

I was out in Californai in the land of spark arresters, visiting my wife and her family. Her father had a big oak widowmaker... hung in another big oak... I wish I had the cvamera for that gig... cause I Am fairly proud of my improvisational talent to get the gear up to task...
Her Dad went to get fuel, while I set up the gear... In the shed there was some extra gear I left there 3 years ago... an old double D cloth saddle, two steel locking snaps, one steel core lanyard with snap/no way to adjust, and about 40-50' of old arborplex. Fortunately I had stopped at West Marine in Sacramento and picked up 30' of NE 3/8" double braid. I tied thedouble braid onto the side D in a VT for the lanyard, running the lanyard through the D so no slack tender was needed... Then tied the end of the rope to one snap, and using another length of the 3/8 double braid, tied another VT on the rope to the second snap and found a split link chain link to add to the snap as a slack tender. Making one hand adjustability for both the lanyard and the climbing line and making advancing the line as easy as unclipping the steel snap and throwing it through the next crotch...

When did you get TCI in the mail?
I just got back from Ca. and didn't get a chance to pick up my mail yet...
And speaking of the littlest of supplies, once I brushed the tree out, I used harry's old homelitesaw for the verticle snap cuts on the trunk... When I used to use homelites 20 years ago they were red... this saw was blue.. I Am guessing an early 60's model... I just touched up the chain and it cut real well...

Back