Vallorbe Racing Cut System

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The corners are perfect like they are done with a machine, I want to send the guide to others so they can try it out but I can't get them to let me (yet) Crofter, Timberwolf and Cut 4 fun have seen the chain (cut4fun is testing it on another site) it's a neat trick and very simple to use.

Later,

24D how does it work, do you get exact corners ??

By the way, do you still have a picture of the file from the end? I couldn't get it in focus from that angle.

Later,

I talked to Goran today. Two modles will be offered one for Oregon, another for the rest of the chains with the Oregon coming out this month the other shortly there after. If you want to modify the Oregon guide to do both types of chain, it's no big deal, just let me know and I'll tell you how.

The angles will be inside side plate 30°, 10° forward slope on the outside side plate, 36° inside top plate, 32° outside top plate, from the best I can understand.

Later,

Here are the pics :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

looked high and low for a used square grinder with no luck for almost a year. when this simington 450 popped up. I was all over it... couldn't send the paypal fast enough!

paid $250 + $40 shipping.. one of the best pieces of gear I've ever scored!

with crofter's help, got the old simington 450 setup pretty slick...
had to shim the motor to grind left and right the exact same.

learning curve was fairly steep, but once you figure how to set it up properly. it's really easy to use. can grind a chain usually in 2-3 minutes.

been waiting for this square cut file guide for sometime. should be great in the field.

Well 046 and I each picked up a used one; mine a couple of years ago and his just recently. They were Simmington 450 I think. No tags on mine. Similar to Silvey swing arm. 2 to 3 hundred dollars. As B Turner mentioned the price of a grinding wheel will do the work of several hundred dollars worth of files and a lot quicker!

Last edited:
The Vallorbe file in the pictures is easier then the Pferd chisel-bit file to use no shatter or vibrations and gives me better results then with the pferd files I used earlier ,,,, (Only my opinion though) :)
For you who hand file they are well worth a try !!!

Well 046 and I each picked up a used one; mine a couple of years ago and his just recently. They were Simmington 450 I think. No tags on mine. Similar to Silvey swing arm. 2 to 3 hundred dollars. As B Turner mentioned the price of a grinding wheel will do the work of several hundred dollars worth of files and a lot quicker!

I just received a few Save Edge files to try them out. They are a sponsor here now with the flashing Save Edge banner on Arboristsite header. Excellent service. I have not tried the files yet but they have nice crisp corners unlike the last few bunches I have
gotten from a different supplier.

I have been using save edge round files for the last two years for my touch up,,, if I catch it in time,,,, If I really bust one up (chain that is) and I'm in a hurry,,,, I just grab a back up saw and grind later,,,,, but if Im touching up I use the Save Edge!!!! I've had good luck with them!!!!

I bought a chiselbit file just havent used it yet,,,, :monkey:

Crofter PM sent!!!!

The Vallorbe file in the pictures is easier then the Pferd chisel-bit file to use no shatter or vibrations and gives me better results then with the pferd files I used earlier ,,,, (Only my opinion though) :)
For you who hand file they are well worth a try !!!

Those half thickness files should make it a lot more practical to square file a .325 chain also. I have not tried them but they look like they have nice crisp corners.
Anyone know who is a dealer here for that file?

My first guess Frank I do have a file I'v been meaning to send you to try, I just keep forgetting, I'll try to get it out tomarrow.

Later,

Silly question but what controls your top plate angle or do you just follow the angle mark? (I tend to wander so was wonderin') :monkey:

:cheers:

Serge

Sprig, the observed top view angle is described as outside top plate angle and on square ground chain is the result of the combination of, file back angle, file down angle and rotation of the file. Changing any one of the three will affect the others. I would say withing reason it is the least critical. If you went from 10 Deg. forward lean of the side cutter (hook) to say only 5 degrees, the observed outside top plate angle would sweep back more and the internal cutting angle of the top plate would get slightly blunter. Much easier to visualize with a file and chain in front of you.

Silly question but what controls your top plate angle or do you just follow the angle mark? (I tend to wander so was wonderin') :monkey:

:cheers:

Serge

If you are asking on this particular guide, if you place the file square on the roller and line up the corner of the file with the corner of the tooth, all angles just fall into place. As a side note, the file will naturally square itself on the roller and once you have made one pass with the corners lined up they seem to want to stay in that groove as well.

Later,

Any of you cats used it yet ? I see it's available in the states now.
There has been a Cutter's Choice store in London Ontario for years. At one time it was called Zip Penn. My Father, Uncle, and Great Uncle used the Standard Chipper chains for as long as I can remember, and I have bought them myself. Now I can't buy this type of chain. I can only get Chisel Chain, Semi Chisel Chain, and Skip Tooth Chain. I have a couple of Semi Chisel, and 1Chisel Chain. Can someone tell me the difference of the 3 types of chains?
I have a Jolly chain saw chain grinding machine, with a 1/4" flat grinding wheel for depth gauges, and I have a grinding wheel for sharpening 3/8 and .404 chain saw chains, that I got from cutters choice a few years ago. Something like the Oregon chain saw chain grinding machine.
I have read about Square Grinding, of Filing on the Razor Sharp Chain Forum, and one of the guys posted a picture of a tooth that was square ground. It looked real neat, and I thought I would like to give it a try. Another guy posted this forum for me.
OK now for some questions. Will I able to preform square sharpening these chains that I already have? Will I be able to preform this task. with my grinding machine? If I'm able to do square grinding with my machine, what degrees do I need to set my power to? What type of wheel will I have to get, or will I be able to use the grinding wheels I already have?
Presently I sharpen my chains at a 30degree angle, and my power head is set at 60 degree tilt. Last question. Is this type of sharpening recommended for cutting Soft Maple(Sugar Maple), and Ash?
As I have told the other guys on the forums that I have already visited, that I am new to this website, and so far I have found it very interesting, and I have learned a great deal of information, that I never Seen, or heard of. Very informative.
Your help and advise would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to learning from you.
Thanks Bruce.

Click HERE and that will get you started + you can do a search on GOOFY and SQUARE that should keep you busy for days (or years in my case) also try to ask just one question per post, reason for that is one person might not know all the answers and would be hesitant to answer just the one they know.

Later,

PS WELCOME!

Last edited:
I'm using a roller guide on my 95vp chain on a 353. I touch up these chain every day (very dirty environment). I've noticed that the rollers are starting to get groves in them from where the file rides. Curious as to whether the sq. grnd. roller guide is or will suffer the same. Maybe it wont since the file is flat and wider.

These roller guides (ones I'm using now) are wonderful. Free hand filing is out of the ques. for me, gotta have a guide. I'd love to try some sq. grnd. in my environment. Hope the price comes down on that guide cause then I'm on it like the proverbial fly on ++++.

The Rollers on the Atop gudie are made of a better quality, I have used one under three years (the .325) and have only changed the rollers once.

When I talked to Göran on the phone a couple of weeks ago they were being manufactured but I don't know if they are done yet !!
I can check it out if you want ,,,,,

/Kristoffer

Latest posts

Back