Vallorbe Racing Cut System

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's been almost for quite some time.... if and when it shows up... I'll believe it :chainsaw:

Sounds like ATOP has the units mfg'd, they're just finishing up instructions, packaging, etc.

That's correct :)
I just got of the phone with Göran and 500 units has left the "cnc" machine what remain is paint and assembly of the units and then what Edge & Engine wrote :)
So quoting Göran "with out promissing to much they will be available this year"
:p

//Kristoffer

All the time you cats waited on this thing to come to the market......you all could have learned to file with the diamond

I did learn how to file square chains with a diamond file. sharp too!
problem was ... my patience is just not there to spend 15+ min per chain.

ditched square chains .... that is until I got lucky and scored a simington 450 square grinder. now it's deluxe sharp square chains for me ALL the time :popcorn:

All the time you cats waited on this thing to come to the market......you all could have learned to file with the diamond

http://www.cutterschoice.com/cgi-bin/store/cutters.cgi?show_details=1720&s=popup&cur=usd

Is this the product that was be tested by 24d? I have been waiting for this for a while. I have been playing around with square filing for about a year now. I can get them fairly sharp, but it is to time consuming for a work chain. Any info would be greatly apreciated....Thanks

I think that is the jig to use a goofy (round edge flat) file on either chisel or semi chisel chain. I have that jig and was not impressed as it was nowhere near a square filed chain performance. The new one that is about to be released is a modification of that original jig that places the roller guides at a different angle and location. I have one of those that I tried and it appears to do a genuine square filed profile on 3/8 chisel chain but does (or did) use a one sided Vallorbe flat file that is a modification of the standard double bevel file. It is a well made file. I believe the double file can also be used with it but have not tried it to see if that would change the cutter angles appreciably. I expect the modification to the indexing mechanism that 24D came up with will make it workable on other brands of chain instead of only with Oregon. That was a bit of an issue as the top of the drive links where the jig indexes are not identical on all chains. I think it will be a good device to help imprint the visuals that are important to making good consistent square filed chains. I found chatter a bit of an issue but I am used to filing on a dead solid chain vise. In any case you will have to adjust your chain very tight while you file. Of course that really is a good thing to do even with round filed chain but there is even more up force on square cutters and you are filing them outside in. It holds the proper file angles and then you only have to concentrate on placing the file corner at the right spot on the tooth corner.

My initial experience with it is that it will give cutter angles that are a fair bit more aggressive than the factory grind which is what almost every user would want anyway.

Crofter,

Thanks for the information. I guess I will have to keep waiting. I have been on here for awhile and thought that I might of missed something.

Thanks alot

Just had a go with the guide, and all I can say for now is that if you are just a bit used to hand filing this will be a "walk in the park" to use, I just aim for the "lead" corner on the first two or three strokes and then the files way through the cutter is set and then you just file until the cutter is sharp :)
I believe many of you who have "dreamed" about square ground now (soon) have good option that doesn't cost a fortune new.

I will show some pictures tonight (for me) when i get home from work :camera:

//Kipp

Last edited:
hmmmm... you mean this guide might actually get delivered to actual folks....

Latest posts

Back