Vallorbe Racing Cut System

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that is a typo. It uses the goofy file but does not present the file as in square filing. They are supposed to be working on a new prototype that holds the file on a different angle. Here is a picture of the file in position in a cutter on the jig.

Edit, sorry that is out of focus but gives a bit more detail of the roller position and the angle it holds the file.

Last edited:
I got the sq proto type in my hand right now. I think its the only one.

So does utilize a double bevel file?

Its a strange looking file with 4 sides but very crisp corners. The guide they sent me to test has one angle for the right and another for the left, so I can't make a chain that will cut. What they are looking for is input as to which angles will work best for us. I'll try to get some pictures and share as much infomation as I can. Any questions or input you have is more than welcome.

Its my understanding that this guide will be avalible HERE first

Later,

It was discussed here at length a few years ago under "Atop racing cut" if you do a search. The roller system is smooth and the indexing is quick to move from cutter to cutter. all you have to do is hold your end of the file at the right height to keep the file corner on the tooth at the right spot. What 24D is talking about is a new prototype to do true square filed sharpening. It is proposed I think to have a model for hardwood and one for softwood and I think the prototype he has combines the two for a demonstration but cuts different angles one side to the other so is just a tease for 24D at this point. I am waiting for him to show us some pictures of the sharpened teeth to see what they look like. There are a few people trying to develop a good working guide that would allow a person to easily get good fairly quick results at square filing a chain since the cheapest grinder is around 900 bucks.

Tease? Haha and you know they getting a good laff, I got this cool guide that will get a chain like a razor but cut in a circle lmao!

Frank, if I can't get enough information on my own, Im gonna head to Canada and get you and Brain involved in this joke too hahaha!

Later,

I got it in .325 but will wait for the "true square" guide in 3/8 !
It gives a fast cutting 21bp or RM chain, perfect for cutting and limbing with my 346xpg :)

A factor that somewhat mitigates the initial expense over time with a grinder is that wheels are pretty cheap and last as long as many many files.

B_Turner are there any used ones out on the "net" ??
or were can I search for them ,,,,
cant afford a new one with shipping and all that but a working used one might be ok ,,,

Its my understanding that this guide will be avalible HERE first

Later,

We have chains that have been filed using the new Atop Pro 3/8" Sharpener. We have done tests with several chains. The file used is the 2270-6 from Vallorbe. Also a 3/8" guide will be available using the 2260 Vallorbe file which will be for hardwood cutting for production. We have many things in the works reguarding chains and performance.
24d is working with Atop to offer his opinions on the new product. Thanks to Larry for his input.

More info later. Tony

cant afford a new one with shipping and all that but a working used one might be ok ,,,

I am the wrong guy to ask about what's available on the net as I'm not very web savy.

Shipping these days is killer. And what grinders I've seen for sale have mostly been projects.

Sometimes in the past when I've been at Madsens they have had used Silveys they have taken in on trade and fixed up and were for sale.

Well 046 and I each picked up a used one; mine a couple of years ago and his just recently. They were Simmington 450 I think. No tags on mine. Similar to Silvey swing arm. 2 to 3 hundred dollars. As B Turner mentioned the price of a grinding wheel will do the work of several hundred dollars worth of files and a lot quicker!

I just received a few Save Edge files to try them out. They are a sponsor here now with the flashing Save Edge banner on Arboristsite header. Excellent service. I have not tried the files yet but they have nice crisp corners unlike the last few bunches I have
gotten from a different supplier.

OK - I'v played with it for about a week now, I really like it. Its extremly simple to use (a caveman could do it) and it would be hard too damage it as well. If I had to compare it to another tool, it would be a speed square.

Questions?

I'll have some pictures in a few.

Pictures

sorry took so long!

Later,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back