Value question- older large stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgwelsh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What the approx value of a running older stihl, assuming clean piston and all parts. I think model is a 088 or there abouts, but age would be around 20yrs. Any red flags? I am looking at saw to buy in a couple days.

Thanks
Duncan

I wouldn't venture to guess a value without a careful inspection of the saw. The 20-year age is of little consequence. Assuming equally good condition of an older model and a newer model, many experts might opt for the older, pre-EPA saw. The 088 is a highly regarded BIG hoss of a saw. I am still looking for a nice one to add to my stable.

The 088 was not made 20 years ago. Be sure and check the model number. It depends on alot of different things as far as value. It also depends on how bad you want it.

1999, clearly not an 88. Thanks. Thought the question might have been a little open-ended. Will get more info and return.

Thanks again

If it's an 084 it might still be a good deal depending on condition of it. Parts are harder to find for it than the 088/880.

Just to give you an idea, I purchased a used 088 last summer for 750 bucks, the guy had it in pawn. It started it and it ran strong but I could not test in the parking lot (no more wooden vehicles these days).

When I got it home it had 150 psi and the jug looked decent. The clutch cover was cracked and missing the outside side plate and had a few screws stripped. A new plate, helicoil, and some small parts where the chain was thrown and she runs my mill, 900 bucks total. Had a newer 36" stihl bar and a 36" rsc chain on it. The chain brake was also broke so I removed it, not needed on a mill and if runnin one this big you better pay attention anyway.

I had been scouring craigslist for months when I found this locally, dude was asking 875 and needed the money, so I was able to haggle a bit.

Good luck, hope that helps. PS, I was as nervous as a call girl in church not being able to better evaluate that saw before I paid for it and I knew that I wasn't getting my money back because the dude that sold it to me was a monster, with big monster sized friends and prolly packin'.:msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy:

Back