Vegetable oil for bar oil-watch this, think this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll just spend the extra dollar and buy a 1 gallon jug of bar and chain oil instead of a couple bottles of cooking oil, thank you.

Seriously, I don't really get why anyone would do this to a $500+ chain saw in the name of cost savings. B&C oil isn't THAT expensive...cooking oil isn't THAT cheap.

Modern composting toilets

WTF?! Are you frikkin' kidding me?!

What the hell is wrong with you?! What kind of sick person does that?! I'll bet you live in the woods that lives like some freaky radical who practices cannibalism!

Holy cow man you need to get a grip on reality and start pooping in a white porcelain bowl filled with water.....!! :dizzy::dizzy:

Obviously you have never seen one. These are fairly high tech and functional units. They are quite useful in a lot of situations, I'll give you an example. Friend of mine got a small chunk of land, built a cabin on it, his weekend cabin. cost of well and septic in that area was five figures. Toting in drinking and cooking water in jugs for the weekend and having a legal pass inspections composting toilet small four figures. Well over ten grand savings. It's a john, works like a normal john, looks like a normal john more or less, doesn't smell at all, nothing weirdo about it, and the volume of the saved stuff after correct composting is actually quite small, even after months of use. It's a dry powder that's left over, amazing shrinkage.

And some areas just will not perc, even if you dig it out and put a septic system, it won't pass inspection because it won't work. So there's really incredible land deals out there because of that, because most folks aren't aware of the alternative, so they will heavily discount the property and people can get some nice acreage for cheap, similar to how guys here pick up real good deals on saws, because most guys can't even do the simplest of repairs. All sorts of people will more or less junk a decent saw for twenty bucks worth of carb kit and fuel line and filter, and go buy another 100 to who knows how much dollars saw. Why they do this I do not know, but we here take advantage of people's ignorance on that subject.

Green tech is quite spiffy and we who use it get the advantages. Those who don't and laugh at it..who cares? I don't, just their stone age ignorance, their loss. One of my generators can run for twenty plus years with almost no maintenance and not having me go buy fuel for it ever. The fuel gets delivered free all the time, every single day. And the folks who say it just can't work.... I laugh back at them. Let them keep their generators running when something weird happens in the mideast and the price of crude jumps to three hundred bucks a barrel overnight. Same with their six mile a gallon status 600 horsepower rides.

Uh, zogger, those two are friends and I would not be surprised if fiberthrow'r has used a composting toilet once or twice.

Mr. HE:cool:

I'll just spend the extra dollar and buy a 1 gallon jug of bar and chain oil instead of a couple bottles of cooking oil, thank you.

Seriously, I don't really get why anyone would do this to a $500+ chain saw in the name of cost savings. B&C oil isn't THAT expensive...cooking oil isn't THAT cheap.

It's not all about the price of the oil at the store. It's about looking at my kids and knowing that I did the best I could to take care of our land so that when I am dead, and it belongs to them, that it is in as good a shape or better than when I bought it. Salmon aren't the only things that B&C oil is bad for. LOL

But I'm just a dumb hippy tree-hugger. What do I know?

Obviously you have never seen one. These are fairly high tech and functional units. They are quite useful in a lot of situations, I'll give you an example. Friend of mine got a small chunk of land, built a cabin on it, his weekend cabin. cost of well and septic in that area was five figures. Toting in drinking and cooking water in jugs for the weekend and having a legal pass inspections composting toilet small four figures. Well over ten grand savings. It's a john, works like a normal john, looks like a normal john more or less, doesn't smell at all, nothing weirdo about it, and the volume of the saved stuff after correct composting is actually quite small, even after months of use. It's a dry powder that's left over, amazing shrinkage.

And some areas just will not perc, even if you dig it out and put a septic system, it won't pass inspection because it won't work. So there's really incredible land deals out there because of that, because most folks aren't aware of the alternative, so they will heavily discount the property and people can get some nice acreage for cheap, similar to how guys here pick up real good deals on saws, because most guys can't even do the simplest of repairs. All sorts of people will more or less junk a decent saw for twenty bucks worth of carb kit and fuel line and filter, and go buy another 100 to who knows how much dollars saw. Why they do this I do not know, but we here take advantage of people's ignorance on that subject.

Green tech is quite spiffy and we who use it get the advantages. Those who don't and laugh at it..who cares? I don't, just their stone age ignorance, their loss. One of my generators can run for twenty plus years with almost no maintenance and not having me go buy fuel for it ever. The fuel gets delivered free all the time, every single day. And the folks who say it just can't work.... I laugh back at them. Let them keep their generators running when something weird happens in the mideast and the price of crude jumps to three hundred bucks a barrel overnight. Same with their six mile a gallon status 600 horsepower rides.

He's just goofing around. He has the same set-up I do!!!LOL We live about 200yards from each other through the woods.

Obviously you have never seen one.

Nor would I ever want to. Fark that man. You know some people actually compost their crap and grow veggies in it?!

That's insane and anyone who does such a thing needs to be lobotomized.

I get "go green" but recycling your own **** isn't gonna help mother earth. It's gonna do nothing but stink up your house and your neighbors yard.

If you're going to run vegetable oil, you might want to use a nondrying oil like peanut or olive oil (use the cheap stuff please). Or semidrying like corn oil and be careful not to store it too long. Soybean oil is a drying oil (like linseed oil) that will oxidize and turn into varnish. I don't know about the lubricity of common vegetable oils; I do know that castor oil has very high lubricity and film strength and would be a good additive -- it's also nondrying.

He's just goofing around. He has the same set-up I do!!!LOL We live about 200yards from each other through the woods.

I think you have me confused with some other moron like yourself. Sorry, not into crapping in a bucket.

Next time you wipe go outside and find the green shiny leaves that are in a bunch of 3 with red stems. I hear they have aloe in them and it helps moisturize. Gather a bunch as there's usually a large supply. :rolleyes:

What you're experiencing is called "polymerization," basically the oil turns to a rubbery/plasticy kind of substance. It happens a lot in the vegetable oil as diesel world. Basically when oil gets continually exposed to heat and oxygen it starts to oxidize which eventually causes polymerization. That's why I always blend my oil with a little diesel and burn it quickly.

Oh no...

I showed this up for some information, of about the kind that "It seems, that the whole mess with veg oils is caused by about less than 5 pct of it´s content, which you may easily remove by some heating and cooling, right as if you´re making linseed oil varnish, then filtering after some sit-off time". To provide some reference for newbys about "what makes your oil pump worm to strip wen the saw sat awhile between runs" or "what´s the mess which made your saw giving no oil" (I bet you will not loose good deals on clogged up saws, some kind of people just don´t get it, anytime, anyhow, period).
I realy wasn´t about somehow militant "green" debates, even if I also recykle crap on cottage...

But I can´t help myself not to add something to aditives:
What makes a veg oil into bar oil are mentioned aditives. Also, just right these aditives makes the only residues and not-so-easily degradeable part of veg oil based bar oil one can buy.
Sad is, that these aditives are from most part the same for motor oil, gear oil, hydraulic oil as well as any "ennviromental friendly, biodegradeable" bar oils or hydraulic fluid for forestry machines. Just the worst and most messy substances are withdrawn from list of aditives for "greeen products". So no matter how "green" product you´re using, still the most messy and dangerous substance of any off-shelf motor oil are poured off the saw. BUT, it was said it´s legal and green, don´t ask why.
So using a veg oil with some add of high SAE grade motor or hydraulic oil is/may be in the end more enviromental friendly than most off-shelf bar oils.
High pressure, high viscosity hydraulic oils (oils, not fluids) are particulary well useable.

I DO NOT want anyone to read this as any "must do" or mantra, or discuss it like this

Back