vegetable oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about cooking oil, but I've used engine oil before with good results.

I have used canola oil for about 4 years on and off cutting firewood. On (8-15-09) I emptied the oil out of 2 saws .One with straight canola oil and the other a 50/50 canola oil and bar oil mix. Put the oils in 2 open containers in my garage covered by a paper towel to keep out the dust. Both oils look the same - no gelling or problems. Can't say the same for veggie oils or bio oils.
Rechecked the open containers this afternoon(2-1-2011) - the oils still look like they were poured yesterday.
The last canola oil cost $1.98 for a 48 ounce bottle.

I am a carver and do a moderate amount of milling. I have also been using Canola oil (6.50/gal) for about three years with no ill effects or accelerated wear on parts, above normal, with the exception of build up from the splatter onto the plastics. It does tend to build up. I use it in all of my saws now but on occasion I will buy a name brand b/c oil when it is on sale for less. However this rarely happens in my area. It averages between 8.50 and 11.50 a gal around here. Started using it a couple of years ago because I was doing a lot of carvings around flower beds and expensive perennials.

I don't know about cooking oil, but I've used engine oil before with good results.

I tried that with a Poulan 361 back in the 1970's. Ended up having to clean out the oiling system due to sludge and other crap in the oil. If you had a way to screen it, it might work better.

Last edited:
It was used but somewhat clean synthetic oil i was using. I never used dirty standard oil, I have used fresh standard oil before when thats all i had with me.

i just talked to a guy that went to a stihl dealer and they stated (depending on how often you use your saw) just use 30 weight in the summer and 10 weight in the winter it works really well and its a lot cheaper thats what we use at my fire departments

Had to clean up a little Husky 136 a local arborist had been using with veggie oil for bar oil. He'd not cleaned it when he put it away a year ago and the oil had set with the sawdust just like half cured fiberglass... the only thing that would cut it was straight gasoline and a lot of scraping. Bonds really well to plastic... A whole lot of work to get the clutch area clean of all the reinforced varnish....

Back