Vermont Casting Stove Question(s) w/ PICs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlschmarl2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The home we recently bought has this nice red Vermont Castings Wood Stove Intrepid II 2070. Since our furnace is propane, I'd like to use this stove this winter to add some supplemental heat.

Upon further inspections of the stove itself, this piece was laying inside. I tried seeing where/how it fits inside. I'm assuming it goes in the back of the stove. But no matter what way I put it, I can't seem to get it to fit. It appears that there's a track that it fits in. I have no idea which side is UP and which way it faces though. Also, it appears that it's been so hot that it melted.

Questions.
1). Do I need to replace this plate or is it still operational?
2). Where/how does it fit in the stove?
3). If I need a replacement plate, what's its official name? I found a site with schematics, but I can't get the picture blown up large enough to be able to read the parts numbers. (http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood-and-Coal-Stove-Manufacturers-Cross-Reference.html)
4). We also have a nice wood desk that sits next to it (barely seen to the right in a few pics), how close can we have the desk to the stove without causing any damage to the paint/finish on the desk?
5). The fire proof rope appears to also be gone, how do I replace this?
6). What are the little handle things (also pictured below)?

THANKS!

vd0obm.jpg

es4u50.jpg

2h826j4.jpg

358csxd.jpg

evc9xd.jpg

2b4dg1.jpg

Questions.
1). Do I need to replace this plate or is it still operational?
2). Where/how does it fit in the stove?
3). If I need a replacement plate, what's its official name? I found a site with schematics, but I can't get the picture blown up large enough to be able to read the parts numbers. (http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood-and-Coal-Stove-Manufacturers-Cross-Reference.html)
4). We also have a nice wood desk that sits next to it (barely seen to the right in a few pics), how close can we have the desk to the stove without causing any damage to the paint/finish on the desk?
5). The fire proof rope appears to also be gone, how do I replace this?
6). What are the little handle things (also pictured below)?

I own the same stove.
First, download and read the owner's manual. It provides most of the information you need.
The throat hood, while a bit eroded, is still functional. It is a separate part from the larger flat plate, which clips into the back of the stove. The hood helps prevent direct flame contact with the catalyst...which you haven't discovered yet. I can't tell if the catalyst chamber is still present. If so, be very very careful...the white material is fragile and easily damaged. It is an expensive part to replace. Expect the catalyst to cost around $100-130 if i recall, and the chamber well over $100.
The manual has a diagram illustrating how everything fits together.
You'll need to check all gaskets and probably replace both the top and door gaskets. Get the right size from the manual, which also tells you how to replace. Buy gasket by the foot from McMaster-Carr, or your local stove shop if you got one.
The "handle things"... i think you're refering to the andirons, which keep wood from hitting the glass when you top load.
Good luck.

ps. make sure you get the chimney cleaned and inspected. Also check that you have the correct hearth and clearances around the stove. You seem to be missing the bottom heat shield.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Initially my wife and I were going to use up what little wood was left behind by the previous owners this year, then look to replacing the stove with an insert of some sort. More than likely we’ll get a pellet insert. I was hoping you all would say the stove was GTG and that we could start using her right away without putting much money into it this year.

We have a few acres here, but not much wood to cut/burn. So either way, between wood/pellets, we'll be buying the fuel. Hopefully we’ll offset the cost of burning propane a little.

I like the stove itself, but my wife doesn't like how it sticks out of the fireplace and she calls it an "eye-sore." The ease of pellets and being able to load it up and have it burn all day have me sold on pellets.

How much do you think this stove will sell for sold as is?

Is it going to be too much of a hassle/cost effective to replace stuff only to use it for a year?

Take your time and look at your options for wood before you get rid of that stove.

My wife said the same thing when we first installed it. But in the middle of winter when it's freezing out and warm and toasty inside, she fell in love with that stove. When we bought the OWB she specifically requested I did not sell the stove because she wanted to keep it lol.

We started out using it as supplemental for propane but very quickly decided if I was going to put all that work into it I might as well go whole hog and save the money completely.

Even if you don't have your own trees to use, you can find someone who will let you cut on their property, get hooked up with a tree removal company or many times craigslist will offer up free firewood that people have around that they want removed.

When you purchase firewood, you don't have to purchase it processed. Some guys I know purchase it in rounds, others in logs.

While I do cut all of my own logs, I have a couple of mills up the road who will sell me a trailer load of logs for under $300 if I were to run out of wood.

If you're innovative you can figure it out. Even if you were to buy all your wood, it might still be less expensive than propane.

Back