vertical shaft motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontfollow

Reaction score
I have a 14 HP Briggs motor that came off of a riding lawn mower. I was wondering if I could use this to make a splitter with. I have never seen a pump mounted vertically on a splitter but don't know why it wouldn't work. I just need to know if the pump will still work right mounted vertically. Thanks for any advice.

Hello,
I built mine with a vertical shaft engine and it works fine !!!!

Basso

I've got a little Sears 27 ton splitter with a vertical shaft motor. Lots of splitters have that. I just had to buy a new motor for mine. Upgraded from a 6½ hp Tecumseh to a Briggs and Stratton 7 hp. I found a great source for cheap engines.

Thanks for the info. I just couldn't remember seeing one mounteded vertically. If anybody has any pics I would love to see them. Thanks again. I will definitely post pics when I start the build.

It can be done you have to make your own bracket they don't sell them pump mounting bracket's. I am building mine with a vertical 14 hp Kohler mine turnd out pretty good you just have to make shure the couplers are strait.

It can be done you have to make your own bracket they don't sell them pump mounting bracket's. I am building mine with a vertical 14 hp Kohler mine turnd out pretty good you just have to make shure the couplers are strait.

I bought mine at tractor supply.....I'm using a 6.75 hp briggs from a pressure washer.When I used the bracket ,,the shaft line up was very easy.Motor had a 7/8 inch shaft and pump was 1/2.I just bought a joy coupling and basically slipped the whole thing together

dont,,the coupling we are talking about is the connection from the motor to the pump..
http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricu...nders/log-splitter-pump-mount-bracket-1815157

Last edited:
Actually, they do sell pump mounting brackets and they're pretty darn cheap. I was just looking at one the other day in the NorthernTool catalog. See this page: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200337128_200337128&issearch=3032

attachment.php

There are lots of other suppliers as well. Not hard to find. Just do a search for hydraulic pump suppliers.

I used a bracket for a kohler engine but had to put both bolt patterns in my engine mount plate. The "studs" for the pump bracket are flat head bolts that I tack welded into the counter sunk holes. Motor plate is 3/8" thick to accommodate flushing the 7/16" flat head bolts. I got the pump mount at Surplus Center.

Be sure to use some loctite on the set screws on the love joy halves. The unpainted picture has some evidence of what happens if you don't.

When you say couplings do you means the connection of the line to the pump? Sorry this is my first one to build.

the lovejoy couplings you'll be using to connect the engine shaft to the pump shaft.

you must have a perfect fit/match or else you'll be replacing the couplings real quick.

I converted a 3 point splitter to a self contained unit with a vertical motor. I made my own mount plate and angle iron legs to space it down. I used a smallengine ring compressor tool clamped around the Lovejoy coupling halves to hold alignment while I welded the mount to the bottom of the motor plate.

I think the mount's BuddhaCat is talking about are basically sold for horizontal engine's I believe without modification they will not bolt up.

attachment.php

This is the part that couples the output shaft from the motor to the input shaft of the pump. The bracket I posted is what houses this coupling.

I think the mount's BuddhaCat is talking about are basically sold for horizontal engine's I believe without modification they will not bolt up.

yea, i agree, i don't think vertical shaft engines have any threaded holes under them.

I converted a 3 point splitter to a self contained unit with a vertical motor. I made my own mount plate and angle iron legs to space it down. I used a smallengine ring compressor tool clamped around the Lovejoy coupling halves to hold alignment while I welded the mount to the bottom of the motor plate.

that's basically what i did, except i used a piece of wide spring steel (same difference) and a hose clamp.

just be sure to rotate the shaft by hand a few times to make sure everything is aligned.

I did somewhat the same but I used a bottle jack under it lined it up then figured my bracket's out they should come up with something for vertical engines . I would payed some cash for it because it can get out of line real quick. On my searches I did come across some couplers that could compensate for a certain amount of misalignment.

Back