vertical vs. horizontal engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yooperman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason a vertical shaft engine should not be used on a wood splitter? Does it have any effect on anything having the pump mounted vertically? I'm slowly collecting parts to build a splitter and see 12-15hp riding mowers for sale fairly cheap now and then.

i use an 18 hp briggs, vertical shaft and never had any problems. the thing just keeps running. the engine came off an old garden tractor i had sitting out back.

the only problem, if that's what it is, is designing the mount so that the pump meets the engine shaft correctly.

be sure to try and keep your pump lower than the tank so that you'll always have oil in it.

second, watch the distance of the pump in relation to your ground clearance.

Horizontals are the preferred engine because it makes for the most compact and readily adaptable for pump mounting.

The verticals can be found for a much lower price for greater horse power which comes in handy if you decide to go with a larger pump.As MGA stated the only difficulty is having to design your own pump mount that will keep the shafts in alignment.

I have built 2 with vertical engines and 2 with horizontal engines. The horizontal engine models look a lot neater but the vertical engine models were less expensive to build while requiring more attention to design.

mga that almost looks to nice to use. I figured the biggest problem was having to make a pump/motor bracket. I've used an Iron and Oak splitter and my own homemade one(not my make) for several years and keeping ideas one things I want on one I make. Thanks for the info guys.

Nice tidy unit you got there. ;)

thanks!!

i used a boat trailer that was given to me. i just cut the neck down. i wanted to keep it as light weight as possible. since all the energy is absorbed in the H beam, you can get away with using just about anything for a trailer. the leaft springs are perfect for towing and the wide wheel base makes it handle nicely.

to mount the engine, i just made a simple base and cut a 2" hole in the center for the drive shaft. same with the pump. i mounted the pump first.

i didn't mark the engine mount holes until i aligned the two shafts with the lovejoy couplers in place. how i did this was i eye-balled it the best i could, then wrapped a wide piece of thin sheet metal around the couplers, then used a hose clamp around that. as i tightened the clamp, it made the aligment perfect. i could turn the engine by hand (without the spark plugs) and everything spun very nice and center. then i marked the engine mounting holes, and the rest is history.

the only thing you have to carefully measure is the engine mount. i used 1/8" steel base and sides. the sides determine my height so it took some figuring to make sure the shafts met without much space.

aside from all that, it was a fun and challenging project.

and by the way...the electric start can't be beat.

I used a pump mount for a Kohler horizontal engine mounted to my engine mount baseplate. I counter sunk the bolt holes for the pump mount and tack welded the bolts in place to make studs for the pump mount. I layed the holes out in cad and used a mill in the tool shop at work to drill the holes.

The pump mount was from surplus center. I put a 3" hole in the center so I could pull the motor with the love joy coupling attached.

Don

Not entirely true!

I think the verticle engines are more likely to leak oil at the crankcase gasket, also the horizontal usually runs a bit more efficiently.

If you are talking about 5hp lawnmower engines, then yep.
If you are talking about a more serious tractor engine, then it isn't that bad.

The oil seal can hold for years..... In fact there is more pressure against the rear main in your truck than there is on a vertical briggs! In fact the lubrication with a horizontal piston is better than a vertical one!

If I stumbled across a good engine vertical shaft I would use it! making the mounting bracket is the biggest problem, and not that tough... :cheers:

-Pat

vertical v horz

amen pat,... the cheaper vertical eng is the way alittle hardeer 2 aling but well worth it....Thoese engines are a dime a dozen.......

the 18hp-twin briggs engine i'm using came off of a Heckinger garden tractor i bought back in 1988. after years of faithful service around the yard, i finally broke down and bought a new one. the old Heckinger is long gone, but that damn engine has been running on my log slitter without fail.

Back