Very particular about my firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a few different products like this. What I’ve done is measure the bar and scratch it at the length I want. I used a marker at first, but that wore off the bar. I’ve also just referenced one of the letters on the side of the bar, all of that requires turning the bar 90 degrees for each cut. These things seem like they’ll get in the way or fall off, anybody use them?
45331B78-1E5B-4FCB-8AE3-DA78C7186D70.jpeg 41E0C276-731C-4E11-B3AD-AA3FFA8C11A7.jpeg DBC218DD-B7AC-4D8D-9FCE-DAEF26626070.jpeg

There are a few different products like this. What I’ve done is measure the bar and scratch it at the length I want. I used a marker at first, but that wore off the bar. I’ve also just referenced one of the letters on the side of the bar, all of that requires turning the bar 90 degrees for each cut. These things seem like they’ll get in the way or fall off, anybody use them?
View attachment 796601 View attachment 796602 View attachment 796603

If I was gonna use a marking stick like that, I'd slap it on a little saw like my Dolmar 421 and use that just to mark the logs. Then I'd grab a bigger saw and get to bucking.

One of the reasons to measure in some way is I’m often working with logs over 2 feet across (sometimes over 3 feet), this multiplies the variance in cut length once you get through the log. I’m not working in perfectly level conditions, and the log might not even be parallel to the ground. So I don’t get perfectly square cuts, this isn’t a big deal with a ten inch log, and isn’t really noticeable.
1C4655AA-12C6-40A0-AF16-7C5BAEB16399.jpeg

Latest posts

Back