ViegaPEX?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deutzman

deutzman

ArboristSite Operative
I've been heating for about 2 weeks now with the CB I installed. I have 1 1/4" ViegaPEX which is rated 100 PSI at 180f. I have the temp. setpoint on the boiler at 180 off and 170 on now

Since this is an open system with low pressure would it be safe to run a higher temperature? Say up to 190f?

BTW This is what's used in Thermoflex. I've seen a couple of other's here that use Thermoflex. What's your upper setpoint?

rex

ArboristSite Member
i wouldnt go much more than that...i dont know any thing about your boiler but id watch the temp in the pex....last year i had 210+ water goin thru pex and it handled it BUT id never suggest it to any one...there was no pressure behind it....

at one point it was hotter than that not sure what exact temp and it blew a huge slit in the pipe...

nparch726

nparch726

ArboristSite Operative
you might try to play with your temperature setpoint some, in the fall and spring i set mine at about 165 and it's plenty to get me by. i usually bump it up to 175 or 180 in the colder months. i don't have any scientific proof or anything, but i think the lower setpoint saves me on wood in the warmer times when you don't need a lot of heat anyway.

deutzman

deutzman

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for you replies.
I was running it at 180 mainly because I just started a fire 2 weeks ago and was wanting to test everything before cold weather got here. It's warmed up this week and lowered it to 170 for now. This is my first OWB. I bought it used and wanted to make sure there were no leaks or any surprises. So far it's worked good. The guy I bought it from was running 195. It was border line in size for what he was heating and that's how I got the unit. The day I picked it up he was running the hot water out when I got there and used a shovel to get the fire out of the firebox. It's been sitting since last Nov. He left when I did going to pick up a new larger OWB.

And rex thanks for that info. I noticed several times with 180 setpoint it's gone as high as 187 but most of the time it stops below 185. I sure don't want to split the pex. I hadn't seen any post of this type when I searched. I knew it had to be a fail point. Just didn't know where it was. I think 180 will do all I need in the winter.