volks-man's echo 440 vs stihl 026 comparo results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the last Ohio GTG I made 2 cuts in 8" poplar in 4.62 secs. Another guy using my saw did it in about 4 secs flat. So one cut in cherry 10-14" should easily be had in 5 secs or less. But did you notice the 346 is ported. So yes the 5100 is slower but its stock. Still beats the heck out those other times I saw. A ported 346 is one mean hombre.

Heres some simple math for you. One 8" popar is 50.24 square inches times 2 cuts = 100.48 square inches. One 14" cherry is 153.86 square inches and it cuts harder than poplar. I did notice your 346 was ported and they are a real nice saw, but lets keep it a little honest. Steve

Last edited:
Heres some simple math for you. One 8" popar is 50.24 square inches times 2 cuts = 100.48 square inches. One 14" cherry is 153.86 square inches and it cuts harder than poplar. I did notice your 346 was ported and they are a real nice saw, but lets keep it a little honest. Steve
I have an 11" cherry on the stand right now at the house and it will cut it right about at 4secs one cut. I doubt a 14" will pick up the time much over 5. Brads saws will do better than that in hard wood and he has the video to prove it. In fact 5 secs in 14" cherry don't seem all that impressive to me. Heck, just for the ***** and Grins of it lets add 2secs. Still pretty good for a 45cc saw.

Last edited:
Sorry, I had 029/290 on the brain. It's still not a fair comparison. The 260 will outcut a 250 for sure. But will a CS440 be outcut by a MS250? Hard to say, I bet it'd be close.

It will..............

seems fair enough to me.
45 vs 50 cc? same class saw, i would think.

So you think it would be fair running a MS260 next to an MS 250? 45cc vs 50cc, according to you it should be fair. Those extra 5cc's make a big difference on a saw that small. Sure, if you were comparing 75cc with 80cc it wouldn't be as big of a difference, but on small/mid size saws, 5cc adds up.

So you think it would be fair running a MS260 next to an MS 250? 45cc vs 50cc, according to you it should be fair. Those extra 5cc's make a big difference on a saw that small. Sure, if you were comparing 75cc with 80cc it wouldn't be as big of a difference, but on small/mid size saws, 5cc adds up.

Stock for stock there will not be enough difference to the average "Joe" to spend another $150 for the 260. Most of us are not "Joes" either......

sure it's fair.

i am not a scientist. i am a guy who uses saws to heat my house.
5cc? what do i, or 'joe homeowner' know about 5cc?

i just happen to have two saws that are physically the same size, marketed as 'pro saws' (don't laugh), and supposedly able to run the same size bar/chain. they even happen to be the same weight. both are set up in a typical fasion. in fact, i think, most are sold with the bar lengths i have.
if this happened in the woods, with somebody who just walked up with an old 026, all would have been fair.

sure it's fair.

i just happen to have two saws that are physically the same size, marketed as 'pro saws' (don't laugh), and supposedly able to run the same size bar/chain. they even happen to be the same weight. both are set up in a typical fasion. in fact, i think, most are sold with the bar lengths i have.
if this happened in the woods, with somebody who just walked up with an old 026, all would have been fair.

I see your logic here. It is the same way I would compare two saws. It is all about what puts wood in the stove. I've yet to cut a cookie or take the time and energy to put a log on a stand.

sure it's fair.

I understand what you're saying, all I'm saying is that it isn't a surprise at all that the 260 cut faster. My dad's 42cc poulan 2375 comes with an 18" bar and weighs the same (10.8lbs, so pretty close) as both your saws, but I'm sure even the echo would outcut it by a lot. By your logic they would be in the same "class" of saws though - with the exception of Poulan not marketing it as a "pro" saw.

I have a feeling that a CS440 side by side with a MS250 would be about the same cut times given that they had the same size bar and same style chains. You could make any brand look bad using your logic. Next lets line up an MS250 with a 346XP, see what cuts faster.

The appropriate echo to run next to a MS260 would be the CS520 (50.1cc). If the CS440 was marketed to run next to a MS260, echo wouldn't make the CS520.

IMO the only thing he was doing is comparing a couple of saws he had that were roughly the same cc's to see how close their cut times were. Neither his comparison nor any timed saw cut comparisons are very scientific because of the number of variables (saw tuning, pressure applied during cut, operator skill level, wood size, wood density, chain type, chain sharpness, etc.). Thats why I find it funny that someone across the country can say that my brand X saw is roughly X times faster because I raced it one time and got these times. More emphasis should be spent on sharpening techniques and chain maintenance rather than arguing which XXcc saw is faster. The benefit of having a better performing "out of the box" saw is negated if you don't know how to properly maintain your chain.

Without even getting out a stop watch running the Echo againt a Stihl ,Dolmar, or Husky of similar size would tell all. I currently have a CS440 at the house and it fells like a weed wacker engine running, not a chainsaw. Echo might make one fine weed trimmer but chainsaws they do not IMO.

Yes, like a weeping, festering sore on the genitals of the chainsaw industry that refuses to scab over, the echo brand still manages to slip its ugly snout into the chainsaw buyers public trough..;) :D

IMO the only thing he was doing is comparing a couple of saws he had that were roughly the same cc's to see how close their cut times were. Neither his comparison nor any timed saw cut comparisons are very scientific because of the number of variables (saw tuning, pressure applied during cut, operator skill level, wood size, wood density, chain type, chain sharpness, etc.). Thats why I find it funny that someone across the country can say that my brand X saw is roughly X times faster because I raced it one time and got these times. More emphasis should be spent on sharpening techniques and chain maintenance rather than arguing which XXcc saw is faster. The benefit of having a better performing "out of the box" saw is negated if you don't know how to properly maintain your chain.

thanks mr. bcorradi for sticking up for me there.:clap:

on the subject of maintaining chains..... i was worried about my sharpening technique, as i had never been shown how. when i had that trouble with the ms361 i sharpened the chain as i usually would before i dropped it off with our 'elvis' friend in leesburg va. i made a point to ask about chain sharpening while i was there. much to my delight, 'elvis' said i was doing it fine. later he could be quoted as saying, 'razor sharp' in his 'volks-man your ms361 is ready' thread. seems like i figured out how to do something right with saws!:)

Yes, like a weeping, festering sore on the genitals of the chainsaw industry that refuses to scab over, the echo brand still manages to slip its ugly snout into the chainsaw buyers public trough..;) :D

Now, tell us how you really feel about echo.:laugh:

you hit that one on the nose.

Latest posts

Back