Walbro HD199 Fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you block off the pump and remove the factory plug the carb will be too rich. There was some posts about others having tried that as well but I have no idea what thread.

Buy the Zama.

Edit to add that if you put a welch plug in the metering side hole for the a/p you will get a carb that is adjustable and almost useable but many times not quite right. Two turns out on the low side do not remember the high. Much improved compared to stock that quit working.

Make the welch plug.

Buy the Zama.

If by chance you are lucky you might have a carb that just needs the freaking long transfer tunnels cleaned that go from the pump in to jets. Pull the alum welch plug out on the opposite side of the carb from the brass one. Usually though if the carb has much run time on it that will not be the case. Use a wire, you will feel it if a blockage was the problem. If you got a new one that does not work or one off a saw that was working fine and then sat for a while that might work until it starts leaking air.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that if by luck, hard work or devine intervention, a man solves a problem that others on this globe are experiencing, he may asked to be paid to help others. You may refuse, but why ask him to give away his work?

Because that's the kind of community we are. We're not askin him to fix our carbs for free. He's asking $25 + shipping to fix a $40 carb.

Last edited:
I threw the two junkers I have in a box thinking someday there may be an answer for them.

The carbs, or the saws?

There's been quite a few threads on this issue, particularly if a later version carb kit is anywhere in the mix -- none of which seem to have the proper gasket for the plastic spacer breather hole orientation.

'Course the carb issue with these things is only one of the well-documented problems associated with the rush to market. Lots of toasted top ends on these saws for any number of reasons according to a Husky tech I bought my 357 from -- for 50 bux cause Husky wasn't even asking any questions on the warranty replacements and was just providing customers with new powerheads left and right under the circumstances to mitigate the PR boondoggle.

But sorry to confuse anyone with the facts -- 'specially Saw Troll. :msp_wink:

Good thread...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=126098&goto=newpost

Poge

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that if by luck, hard work or devine intervention, a man solves a problem that others on this globe are experiencing, he may asked to be paid to help others. You may refuse, but why ask him to give away his work?

He might have a fix that works great, might not. $35.00 round trip to fix a up a crappy carb when a $40.00 not crappy out of the box carb is availible seems risky especially with no other information than a ststement that he can do it. He does not need to say how or what but perhaps a little bit more elaboration is in order.

He is a sponsor so folks could PM him and go from there.

I could care less if he does or does not. At one time I add A Lot of those carbs, probably got less than 50 now, I would not spend much money on fixing them myself unless maybe you were looking to stick them on 350s and what not, even then the Zamas are the better choice.

Oh yeah, buy the Zama, only have the one short welch plug to worry about.

Because that's the kind of community we are. We're not him to fix our carbs for free. He's asking $25 + shipping to fix a $40 carb.

There seems to be something missing in that second sentence so I can't quite addess it.
The fact that this "community" offers help to Stumpys, Wiggs, etc. does seem to make it a cut above most. However don't think for a minute this is an altruistic adventure. The owner of this site gets paid. Sponsers (including you) charge for their services. Why is it suddenly different? It matters not if he charges five cents, $25 or $100 to fix a $40 carburetor. You seem to have an ability to fix saw problems and this seems to be one that has you stumped. Don't try to berate the man with knowledge, or try to shame him into doing something you want. How about this? Ask the man how much to divulge the "fix" and then pay it (or have the owner of the site pay it). We can all send our carburetors to you, to fix for free!
BTW having the site owner pay is not as far fetched as it seems. His site says something to the effect "what are your problems? come here and ask". People that offer free advice to saw owners, are doing the site work. That includes you and me Brad. I would venture about 80% of new members come on here for problem solving at first. More members=more $.

I've only had one Hda-199 carb that went down. The other four are working great!
I'm looking for some nos ones if anyone has any.

Fits with what I thought - most of them are OK.

Do you know if they actually have an accelleration pump that don't show in the part list? :confused:

My 357 tunes like it has an accelerator pump

It's probably the difference between a guy who orders via zama vs. via husky.

I tried Zama direct and wasn't able to get the model carb that was specified in the technical bulletin as the replacement.

I could get a "similar" model and then order the extra linkage components I would need separately. It seemed easier to just
adapt another carb I already had.

What are the running symptoms of a bad HDA199

Back