Walbro HD199 Fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i tried zama direct and wasn't able to get the model carb that was specified in the technical bulletin as the replacement.

I could get a "similar" model and then order the extra linkage components i would need separately. It seemed easier to just
adapt another carb i already had.

c3-el42?

There seems to be something missing in that second sentence so I can't quite addess it.
The fact that this "community" offers help to Stumpys, Wiggs, etc. does seem to make it a cut above most. However don't think for a minute this is an altruistic adventure. The owner of this site gets paid. Sponsers (including you) charge for their services. Why is it suddenly different? It matters not if he charges five cents, $25 or $100 to fix a $40 carburetor. You seem to have an ability to fix saw problems and this seems to be one that has you stumped. Don't try to berate the man with knowledge, or try to shame him into doing something you want. How about this? Ask the man how much to divulge the "fix" and then pay it (or have the owner of the site pay it). We can all send our carburetors to you, to fix for free!
BTW having the site owner pay is not as far fetched as it seems. His site says something to the effect "what are your problems? come here and ask". People that offer free advice to saw owners, are doing the site work. That includes you and me Brad. I would venture about 80% of new members come on here for problem solving at first. More members=more $.

You're making this out all wrong. I haven't asked one thing of Scott that I haven't done myself MANY times. 99% of us on this forum share our knowledge, and do so openly and freely. Yes, I port saws for hire, but I have who knows how many posts telling anyone how to do it themselves. This isn't black magic. Some people have the skills to do this kind of work others don't. Some simply don't want to mess with it. Those that do will find all the info they need to do the job, right here in the pages of AS. What was said earlier in this thread flies in the very face of the way the majority want to see this site operate. This site wouldn't be half the success it has been without that kind of atmosphere.

It also has nothing to do with the charity we've helped others out with monetarily. It's a philosophy that we openly share information here. The fact that we take care of our own is just and extension of that same philosophy.

Just for the record, I've never tried to fix one of these carbs before. If I figure it out on my own, you can be sure that everyone will know. That's just how I roll.

I tried Zama direct and wasn't able to get the model carb that was specified in the technical bulletin as the replacement.

I could get a "similar" model and then order the extra linkage components I would need separately. It seemed easier to just
adapt another carb I already had.

I haven't yet ordered a c3-el42, rather than the Husky PN, but plan to on the next one I buy.

I stand by my opinion, that telling others how to port, will not put those that do it for hire out of business. No, it's not black magic, but it is a learned skill. There will always be those that just don't want to mess with it, and/or don't want to risk messing up their own saw.

Type that into a google search, and you'll find sources. I could show you where to get them for $42, but they're not a sponsor here, and don't wish to get in trouble.

Getting one isn't an issue. I was just wondering if that's the one JJ was referring to. I'm actually gonna roll with the 199 on the 357 I acquired and see what happens. Knowing the history of all the related problems should make it fairly easy to tell how it's gonna fly, though I've yet to see one incident of swapping to the Zama being anything but the best solution.

Poge

I have the Walbro 199 on my personal 346XP. It runs perfectly. I just finished a new 346XP with the Zama carb. It ran fine, but seemed more sensitive to carb adjustments. I've heard of several others having issues with them. I'm not sure if anyone has quite figured out why. If so, then I'm all ears.

The one I put in my 357 was from baileys, and about $54.

I figured out how to fix 200t carbs by a member here, then I posted the info for all to see, I've made a few 200t owners around me very happy with a free Carb fix, then spending what a dealer wants for a new carb, $140btw.

I've got a 345 here that needs a new Carb, I think it suffers the same affliction as the 357, wouldn't mind knowing the fix.

What are the running symptoms of a bad HDA199

Basically what ST said, when it is first getting bad a little retune can fix it but eventually it will not transfer to WOT or hold idle. Start up on choke everytime and then, die.

It was kind of a crapshoot in terms of if it should be replaced or cleaned, a tech could sink a lot of time in a carb and still not have a good running one.

Now, before some of you start thinking that I haven't learned any lessons from my past, I will respect someone that shares info with me privately. I would ask before I shared anything in a case like that. In the past, I've made the mistake of sharing someone else's work, without their permission. That's not cool. But, if I figure it out on my own, or do it differently, I will share. That's not a threat to anyone else, that's just how I am. I'd rather you guys have the info, and be able to use it. I hope that clears up a few possible misunderstandings, before they happen.

I figured out how to fix 200t carbs by a member here, then I posted the info for all to see, I've made a few 200t owners around me very happy with a free Carb fix, then spending what a dealer wants for a new carb, $140btw.

I have fixed the 200T carb as well. That one's pretty easy, but I would have never figured it out on my own. Thanks to others sharing, another carb was saved from going in the trash.

To me they spool up faster than the Zama.

Ah, the irony.

Not really though if you block off the a/c pump and drill the plug out the and end up with a tuneable carb it can have same throttle response characteristics.

The Zamas will respond better with a couple of the tight windings clip off each end of the metering spring and some work under the short welch plug. Have not done it for the 359s only when putting the 359 intakes on the 350s.

Short hairs-

The Zama is a known entity in terms of operating characteristics and reliablity, until you clip things and make things bigger.

The repaired Walbros are certainly not. I have used ones that I have done and that others have paid other people to do.

I am also all for other people finding work arounds and repairs, knock yourselves out folks, worse case being you end buying a Zama.

Last edited:
I tried Zama direct and wasn't able to get the model carb that was specified in the technical bulletin as the replacement.

I could get a "similar" model and then order the extra linkage components I would need separately. It seemed easier to just
adapt another carb I already had.

The c3-el42 is the model. I have ordered those as well as one via husky. The only difference is the box - and the price. All linkages and fittings are identical. They're cheap enough that I keep a few on hand.

Hmmm...where is this Zama for only $40? All the local guys want $62-80...

I have no idea where they came fro I just know that I paid $40.00 for the ones that I bought, probably close to the dealers cost. I do know that they did not come through Tiltons.

That was also a while ago and I know that particular arrangement for me is no longer availible.

Now, before some of you start thinking....

Easy, mang. Unless you're getting heat on the side, seems to me like this is just another informational thread. Could be a valuable one for lots of folks in the long run -- in the spirit of "the community".

Last time I checked, Walbro hasn't figured it out, Husky hasn't figured it out, but a monkey in a tree evidently has and wants to be paid for it.

What else is there to discuss?

OK, folks. As you were.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Easy, mang. Unless you're getting heat on the side, seems to me like this is just another informational thread. Could be a valuable one for lots of folks in the long run -- in the spirit of "the community".

Last time I checked, Walbro hasn't figured it out, Husky hasn't figured it out, but a monkey in a tree evidently has and wants to be paid for it.

What else is there to discuss?

OK, folks. As you were.

:cheers:

Ethanal?

i have fixed a pile of these carbs. have not seen one that could not be fixed
if i can't fix it i will replace it with a good one

if some one wants to buy a rebuilt and tested carb the price is $40.00 plus shipping

Back