Wanna new stihl magnum, but which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncvarmint

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a homeowner and cut firewood to heat home and water, and like to cut down trees when i can. The majority of the trees i cut are from 8" to a very few 30-32" trees, all hardwood's. I have a ms261 w/18" bar and a ms460 w/20", 25", and a 32" stihl lightweight bar on the way, I am wanting a new saw and was looking at ht e ms440 as i have alway's wanted one, but i also have wanted a ms660 but don't know that i would ever need something that big. As i may only get to cut up a 36" or so tree or log once a year.
I would go this setup with my saws,
Stihl ms261 18" bar
Stihl ms 460 25"-32" bar (if i got the 660 i would sell the ms460 to dad and use the 660 with 25" to 36" bar)
or MS 440 - 20" bar ( i would keep the 460 and use it with the 25"- 32" bar and the 440 would carry a 20 bar)
thanks for any and all help
trevor

BTW how does a ms660 do with the 20" and 25 bar and chain

The 440 is a legend come back to life for now (Id get that one if I could only have one)
The 460 is old school and respected begrudingly even by the orangest of saws.
The 660 with DP muffler is an animal (and big)

Arrange it so you have all 3

I want the 440 because like you said, it is a legend and only out for a short time, i like the 460 a lot, but something about a 440 and 660 just makes me wonder if i would rather have the 440 and 460 or just a 660 and use the 20" to 36" bar on it, if you understand what i mean.
My 460 has a dp muffler cover, and i would put one on whichever saw i get
trevor
The 440 is a legend come back to life for now (Id get that one if I could only have one)
The 460 is old school and respected begrudingly even by the orangest of saws.
The 660 with DP muffler is an animal (and big)

Arrange it so you have all 3

I love my 660-- has only a 28 inch bar and it has grunt, it is big though
too big for playing around--I bring it only if I am gonna be gutting 24 inch hard wood or better.
IT commands respect but it also will wear a guy down

sounds to me like you dont need a saw, if your 460 is in good conition, you have a great firewood set up as it is

You sound like his wife

stop that!

of course he needs a new saw

Think of all of the savings down the road!

If you want a 440, that is what you should buy. If you decide you want a larger saw later, you should be able to sell your 460 or 440 for a good price to help purchase the larger saw.

If you were doing a lot of felling and limbing of any type of the pines (lots of limbs), I would recommend the 440. It's a great saw for this exact thing.

If you've just got to have a new saw for firewood, I'd consider the 441.

I've cut firewood with the 660, 440, 441, big bore 660, and I prefer the 441. The largest hardwood I've felled and bucked with it was 46" at the felling cut.

The saw I use the most in 16" wood, and bigger, is the 441.

Of course this is definitely a personal choice. The 440 has a romantic history and is still a great saw, it is no longer my first choice for good old fashioned firewood duty.

If you were doing a lot of felling and limbing of any type of the pines (lots of limbs), I would recommend the 440. It's a great saw for this exact thing.

If you've just got to have a new saw for firewood, I'd consider the 441.

I've cut firewood with the 660, 440, 441, big bore 660, and I prefer the 441. The largest hardwood I've felled and bucked with it was 46" at the felling cut.

The saw I use the most in 16" wood, and bigger, is the 441.

Of course this is definitely a personal choice. The 440 has a romantic history and is still a great saw, it is no longer my first choice for good old fashioned firewood duty.
sorry to hear that:frown:

get the 440 and keep the 460... some may disagree but this is the saws i use 260 16",440 20" and 460 25" the 660 is more than a homeowner would ever need imho and btw the 440 with a 20" bar is a sweet saw:hmm3grin2orange:

If you want one now get the 440. The 660 will be around until 2013 or longer. The 440 may disappear again anytime. I always liked the 400 better than 460. The lb saved and fuel saved was better than the little power increase with 20-24" bars. If you want to run a 32" try it with the 460 first before you buy a 660. I've owned multiples of all those saws and the 440 is the best for daily firewood chores to me.

440/460/660

I like to pick the lightest saw for job and run the correct bar like a 28 on a 440 would be longest bar for the saw.

The 460 bridges the gap to cutting big logs will run a 32"bar or limited use with a 36".

The 660 runs a 36" bar I have a 42"bar on mine and the 660 it oils and powers it just fine.

Decide which powerhead fits the wood your working with.

sorry to hear that:frown:

Yep, I wondered about even posting. It's true for me though. Ran the 036 Pro for a few tanks the other day and found out I no longer care for that saw.
Kinda stunk since it's such a good runner.

Must be my old age; I'd rather run a saw with good antivibe these days.

Latest posts

Back