Wanna new stihl magnum, but which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not hard to tweak a bar so it pays to have atleast one extra or maybe 7 like I have:laugh:

Good point, what is your recommended chain for cutting hardwood? I use the factory yellow label chain that comes on the 440, 460 saws. I ordered 2- skip tooth chains with my 32" Light ES bar for my 460
thanks

Well i have had the ms440 since monday and have put 2 tanks of gas through it so far. I love the saw, has good power with the 25" and is a little lighter than the 460. I am going to put the 20" bar on it and put the 25" bar on the 460 bar and use them that way. Now just waiting on the Dual Port cover to come in. I am going to open the factory hole up alittle also.
Wanted to do the double your warranty thing, but the owner said it was for consumer things only, but in august last year i bought a br600 and a ms261 and used the double your warranty thing. Any idea what is up with that
trevor

Wanted to do the double your warranty thing, but the owner said it was for consumer things only, but in august last year i bought a br600 and a ms261 and used the double your warranty thing. Any idea what is up with that
trevor

I've done the double warranty thing on all my recent purchases, or at least I bought the oil and the dealers said I did... I think it is how the dealer interperets the language. The double warranty is only for consumers regardless of what they purchase, not only consumer products. I'd go back (print the page linked below) and get him to put in the warranty. Have him do the 7 day return if he needs to so the sale dates match. If you are using it for income it is not for you, but if you are not the business owner purchasing under the business name (warranty in your name) you should qualify.

Double Your Warranty

The STIHL Ultra Limited Warranty
– Double Your Warranty Protection
Double limited warranty protection applies to STIHL gasoline-powered products purchased for personal non-income producing, family and household purposes only. At the time of your equipment purchase, simply purchase a six-pack of STIHL HP Ultra engine oil or six 32 ounce containers of STIHL MotoMix® premixed fuel to qualify for double the limited warranty coverage. STIHL HP Ultra provides the best engine oil for improved engine longevity. Restrictions may apply.

Effective date: January 1, 2012.

Oh hog wash! Where are you in the NC mountains? If you're close you can come run my 660. All saws weigh about the same in the cut. BTW, there is a 660 in the classified section here right now that is a S T E A L!!!!
Get the MS 650. Best logger saw that exists. Enough power for a 36" bar. Ask your wife for another $200 and buy the MS 660 if you think it's better. Some say that $200 buys a lot of beer.

I was lucky to find a new 440 and only had the muffler modded. Running on piles of stacked logs up the woodlot I find it is very nice and maneuverable even with a 25" bar on it.
Joe

Hello all,
I am a homeowner and cut firewood to heat home and water, and like to cut down trees when i can. The majority of the trees i cut are from 8" to a very few 30-32" trees, all hardwood's. I have a ms261 w/18" bar and a ms460 w/20", 25", and a 32" stihl lightweight bar on the way, I am wanting a new saw and was looking at ht e ms440 as i have alway's wanted one, but i also have wanted a ms660 but don't know that i would ever need something that big. As i may only get to cut up a 36" or so tree or log once a year.
I would go this setup with my saws,
Stihl ms261 18" bar
Stihl ms 460 25"-32" bar (if i got the 660 i would sell the ms460 to dad and use the 660 with 25" to 36" bar)
or MS 440 - 20" bar ( i would keep the 460 and use it with the 25"- 32" bar and the 440 would carry a 20 bar)
thanks for any and all help
trevor

BTW how does a ms660 do with the 20" and 25 bar and chain

I was lucky to find a new 440 and only had the muffler modded. Running on piles of stacked logs up the woodlot I find it is very nice and maneuverable even with a 25" bar on it.
Joe
I really like the ms440 i bought, i like it better with the 20" bar. As i have the ms460 to use with 25" bar and up. Waiting on my stihl dual port muffler cover to arrive, and will also open the factory hole to at least double it's original size.
trevor

I'd add another vote for a new MS440. I don't have any real world experience with the 441's, but I personally like the 440 better than the 460.

Try the 441..
Should fit your line-up perfect..

Last edited:
I say get a McCulloch SP125, it is a awesome saw. It will handle a 20 inch bar as easily as it will handle a 60 inch bar.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

just funnin' enjoy your 440.

Back